Surface area vs rate of evaporation

In summary, two vessels of equal volume and heat source, one tall and narrow and the other short and wide, aim to reduce the volume of liquid by 1/2. Boiling and evaporation are not the same, but both vessels will have the same rate of evaporation due to equal heat input. However, the vessel with more surface area exposed to the atmosphere will evaporate faster. This relationship is known as the Langmuir equation.
rezaxis
Two vessels of the same volume, in the same location and open to the atmosphere. One is tall and of a small diameter, the other is short and is of a larger diameter.

Each vessel supplied with an identical heat source. Each vessel filled with an equal volume of an identical liquid.

The goal is to reduce the volume of the liquid in both vessels by 1/2.

I know it will take exactly the same amount of energy to bring each vessel to the boil.

The question is will the vessel with the larger surface area evaporate the liquid faster than the smaller one?

Is there a formula or known and named relationship the would allow me to say "If I doubled the area available to evaporation, I would see an X increase in the rate of evaporation."?

Physics news on Phys.org
If the same amount of heat is going into both fluids at the same rates, then both containers will have the same rate of evaporation. Surface tension might play a small role but I would presume it to be negligible.

Important clarification, though: boiling and evaporation are not quite the same thing. Boiling is specifically the internal vaporization of a liquid due to adding heat to bring the vapor pressure above atmospheric pressure. Evaporation, typically, is a surface effect where water is vaporized due to the vapor pressure at the surface's temperature being above the vapor pressure of water in the air.

So since the two concepts were mixed and matched, I'm going to proivde two answers:
-Water will boil (roughly) equally fast in two different shaped vessels given the same heat input.
-Water will evaporate faster from a vessel with more surface area exosed to the atmosphere than from one with less surface area exposed to the atmosphere.

This also means that if you heat the water up to slightly less than the boiling point, the one with more surface area will evaporate faster and as a result, keeping the temperature steady will require more heat input.

Thanks for the clarifications. I appreciate it, and I think I got it.

Now, does this evaporation rate vs surface area relationship have a name or a formula?

Simply that evaporation is proportional to surface area. The proportionality depends upon things such as the properties of the specific liquid and the temperature.

See "Langmuir."

Related to Surface area vs rate of evaporation

1. What is surface area and how does it affect the rate of evaporation?

Surface area refers to the total area of the surface of a substance. In terms of evaporation, it is the area of the surface where the liquid molecules can escape into the air. The larger the surface area, the more liquid molecules can escape, resulting in a higher rate of evaporation.

2. How does temperature impact the relationship between surface area and rate of evaporation?

Temperature plays a significant role in the rate of evaporation. Higher temperatures provide more energy to the liquid molecules, allowing them to escape into the air more easily. Therefore, with a larger surface area, a higher temperature will result in a faster rate of evaporation.

3. Is there any other factor besides surface area and temperature that affects the rate of evaporation?

Yes, humidity also plays a role in the rate of evaporation. Higher humidity means that the air already contains a lot of water vapor, making it more difficult for additional liquid molecules to evaporate. This can slow down the rate of evaporation, even with a large surface area and high temperature.

4. How does the type of liquid being evaporated affect the relationship between surface area and rate of evaporation?

The type of liquid can impact the rate of evaporation due to differences in molecular structure and strength of intermolecular forces. For example, water has strong hydrogen bonds, making it more difficult for its molecules to escape into the air compared to a substance like alcohol. Therefore, the rate of evaporation may be slower for water, even with a larger surface area.

5. Can surface area and rate of evaporation be manipulated for practical purposes?

Yes, surface area and rate of evaporation can be manipulated for various practical purposes. For example, in industries such as food and pharmaceuticals, increasing the surface area of a liquid can speed up the evaporation process and aid in the production of powders or concentrates. In gardening, increasing the surface area of a plant's leaves can help it absorb more sunlight and water, resulting in faster growth.