Surface area of solid of revolution with undefined derivative

In summary, the surface area of the solid formed when the part of the curve between x=0 and x=8 is revolved about the x-axis is given by: S.A.=-\int_{-1}^{0} 2\pi y\sqrt{1+g'(y)}\ dy\ +\int_{0}^{11} 2\pi y\sqrt{1+g'(y)}\ dy.
Swallow
Hello there.
Suppose I have a function:
y=3x[tex]^{2/3}[/tex]-1

I want to find the surface area of the solid formed when the part of the curve between x=0 and x=8 is revolved about the x-axis.The curve crosses the x-axis at a point (1/3)[tex]^{3/2}[/tex]
The derivative of the function is:
y'=2x[tex]^{-1/3}[/tex] which is undefined at x=0, so can i still find the surface area by using the limits 0 to 8 in the formula for surface area i.e.

S.A.= Integral of( 2*pi* f(x)*[tex]\sqrt{1+f'(x)^{2}}[/tex]) (with limits 0 to 8).

moreover, if I can find the surface area do i have to break the integral at the point at which the function changes form negative to positive?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This probably sounds like a stupid question but given you are talking about a differential which is a sphere's surface why is it undefined at x=0.

Surely it is just dimensionless?

Sorry probably a mindless question between 0 and 8 though isn't it just a lower limit not undefined?

Might help might not to think of how the integral of a circles area or or a spheres volume relates to the derivative of a surface.

No Calrik, the diffrential isn't a sphere's surface, the final result (Obtained after integrating) gives you the surface area of the solid formed when that particular curve is revolved about the x-axis, AND that surface area has a definite value (it certainly isn't undefined).
Edit:
Oh and no problem, the only stupid question is the one that you don't ask. :)

Last edited:
Swallow said:
No Calrik, the diffrential isn't a sphere's surface, the final result (Obtained after integrating) gives you the surface area of the solid formed when that particular curve is revolved about the x-axis, AND that surface area has a definite value (it certainly isn't undefined)

Ok sorry, brain fart didn't quite understand what you were driving at.

At least I bumped your thread.

Carry on. :biggrin:

I think by topographical definition if you break the surface the calculus is non linear. That said you can stretch it to from a proof I guess.

Ie if we don't break it it defines the limits of what we can do to find an answer that is non "imaginary" if you see what I mean.

I'm probably not helping here am I, I'll get me coat. :Biggrin:

Last edited:
*BUMP*
Anyone?
Its a pretty straightforward question.

Yes, it is not uncommon to be able to integrate a function across some point where the integrand does not exist- it's an "improper" integral- take the limit as x approaches that point from each side. Here, since the point, x= 0, is one end of the range of integration, you just take the limit as x approaches 0 from above.

Swallow said:
Hello there.
Suppose I have a function:
y=3x[tex]^{2/3}[/tex]-1

I want to find the surface area of the solid formed when the part of the curve between x=0 and x=8 is revolved about the x-axis.
The curve crosses the x-axis at a point (1/3)[tex]^{3/2}[/tex]
The derivative of the function is:
y'=2x[tex]^{-1/3}[/tex] which is undefined at x=0, so can i still find the surface area by using the limits 0 to 8 in the formula for surface area i.e.

S.A.= Integral of( 2*pi* f(x)*[tex]\sqrt{1+f'(x)^{2}}[/tex]) (with limits 0 to 8).

moreover, if I can find the surface area do i have to break the integral at the point at which the function changes form negative to positive?

The function in your integral for surface area must be non-negative. One way to handle this is to break up the integral. Also, as you pointed out, [tex]\displaystyle y'=2x^{-1/3}[/tex] is undefined at x=0, making the integral from 0 to 8 an improper integral.

S.A.= [tex]\displaystyle \lim_{a\to 0^+}\int_a^8 \left( 2\pi |f(x)|\sqrt{1+f'(x)^{2}}\right)\,dx[/tex]

[tex]=\lim_{a\to 0^+}\int_a^{(1/3)^{3/2}} \left( -2\pi f(x)\sqrt{1+f'(x)^{2}}\right)\,dx \ \ +\,\int_{(1/3)^{3/2}}^8 \left( 2\pi f(x)\sqrt{1+f'(x)^{2}}\right)\,dx[/tex]

As an alternative, you could integrate over y rather than x. That would eliminate having an improper integral., although you would still have to break up the integral.

In general:

S.A.= [tex]\displaystyle \int_C 2\pi |y|\ ds[/tex]

If [tex]\displaystyle x=g(y)[/tex], then S.A.= [tex]\displaystyle \int_{y_1}^{y_2} 2\pi|y|\sqrt{1+g'(y)}\ dy[/tex]

For x ≥ 0, and y=3x[tex]^{2/3}[/tex]-1, we have x=[tex]\displaystyle x=g(y)=\left({{y+1}\over{3}}\right)^{3/2}[/tex]

So S.A.= [tex]\displaystyle -\int_{-1}^{0} 2\pi y\sqrt{1+g'(y)}\ dy\ \ +\int_{0}^{11} 2\pi y\sqrt{1+g'(y)}\ dy[/tex]

Find [tex]\displaystyle g'(y)={{d}\over{dy}}g(y),[/tex] then do the integration.

Added in edit:
I think you'll find that this integration is easier than the one over x.

Last edited:

Related to Surface area of solid of revolution with undefined derivative

1. What is a solid of revolution?

A solid of revolution is a three-dimensional shape that is formed by rotating a two-dimensional curve around a fixed axis.

2. How is the surface area of a solid of revolution calculated?

The surface area of a solid of revolution with a defined derivative can be calculated using the formula 2π∫abf(x)√(1+(f'(x))^2)dx, where a and b represent the bounds of the curve and f(x) represents the function defining the curve.

3. Why does the derivative need to be defined for calculating surface area?

The derivative represents the rate of change of the curve, and without it, we cannot accurately determine the surface area of the solid of revolution. Without a defined derivative, the shape of the curve may be unpredictable and the surface area calculation would not be accurate.

4. Can the surface area of a solid of revolution with an undefined derivative be approximated?

Yes, the surface area can be approximated by dividing the curve into smaller sections and calculating the surface area of each section. The sum of these approximations can provide an estimate of the surface area, but it will not be as accurate as the formula used for a defined derivative.

5. Are there any real-world applications of calculating the surface area of a solid of revolution with an undefined derivative?

Yes, this concept is commonly used in engineering and manufacturing, particularly in creating curved surfaces for products such as car bodies, aircraft wings, and pipes. It is also used in mathematics to study the behavior of functions and curves with undefined derivatives.