Surface area of functions without definite integrals

In summary, Dick is trying to solve a homework equation that has x and y in terms of e^x and e^y, but he is having trouble. He eventually solves it and gets a solution of 12pi.
Interesting

Homework Statement

The curve is rotated about the y axis, find the area of the resulting surface.

y=(1/4)X2-.5ln|x| 1<_X<_2

Homework Equations

S=2(pi)(f(x))[tex]\sqrt{}1+f'(x)^2[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Alright I'm not entirely sure where to even begin. Since I'm rotating about the Y-axis I know that I need to solve the limits wrt y, which would be 1/4<_y<_0.65345
Then I need to solve the equation so X is isolated, then take the derivative of that.
I'm not entirely sure where to even begin, I know that I could take everything to the e^ to get rid of the natural log of x, but then everything is to the e^.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You can't explicitly write a formula for x(y). But you don't have to. You have to integrate 2*pi*x(y)*sqrt(1+x'(y)^2)*dy. dy=(x/2-1/(2x))*dx. Use that to find dx/dy and convert the integration over dy to an integration over dx. You can manipulate the expression inside the square root into a perfect square.

Thanks for the help, I don't completely follow you though.

You can't explicitly write a formula for x(y). But you don't have to. You have to integrate 2*pi*x(y)*sqrt(1+x'(y)^2)*dy. dy=(x/2-1/(2x))*dx. Use that to find dx/dy and convert the integration over dy to an integration over dx. You can manipulate the expression inside the square root into a perfect square.

1/(x/2-1/(2x))=dx/dy, now that's x'(y), and then take the integral of this function to get X? If I take the integral of that I get 2ln|x|+x^2 = y, but I don't really think this is right because it's almost where I started from, and there aren't any y's in the equation and x isn't isolated. x(y) should equal the integral of dx/dy though? Thanks a lot.

No, don't integrate dx/dy. You want to integrate x*sqrt(1+(dx/dy)^2)*dy. That's x*sqrt(1+(dx/dy)^2)*(x/2-1/(2x))*dx. You can write it completely as an integral over x without ever knowing an explicit form for x as a function of y. You are basically just changing the variable of integration from y to x.

Alright I'm still stuck.

so dx/dy= 1/((x/2-1/(2x)) which is the same as 2/x - 2x, so (2/x-2x)(2/x-2x)= 4/x2-8+4x2, take a 4 out and you get 1/x2-2x2+1, get a common denominator and you get (x4-2x2+1)/(x2), factors to (x2-1)(x2-1)/(x2) + 1. I know this is going to be really obvious, but I can not see the perfect square factorization of this.

Thanks a lot for the help, the book we have doesn't offer very good explanations.

1/(x/2-1/(2x)) is NOT the same as 2/x-2x. Now you are just being sloppy with algebra. Try again.

Okay, just to check in, the solution to the square root should be (x2+1)/(x2-1) (providing my algebra is correct, which it most likely isn't). Then I multiply that solution by (x2/2 - 1/2) (by multiplying the x into dy). Then I get two integrals, and then I long divide and get a really long integral and another long one? (Just checking so I don't waste an hour going down the wrong track).

I think your algebra is correct this time. (x^2/2-1/2)=(x^2-1)/2. Looks to me like you've got some cancellation there when you multiply by (x^2+1)/(x^2-1). May not be nearly as hard as you are thinking.

Ohhh good call! I got a final answer of 12pi, which is simple enough to make me think it's the correct one! Thanks Dick!

Related to Surface area of functions without definite integrals

1. What is the surface area of a function without a definite integral?

The surface area of a function without a definite integral is the area under the curve of the function, bounded by the x-axis and the curve itself. It can also be described as the sum of the areas of all infinitesimal rectangles under the curve.

2. How is the surface area of a function without a definite integral calculated?

The surface area of a function without a definite integral can be approximated using Riemann sums or the trapezoidal rule. These methods divide the area under the curve into smaller, known shapes in order to calculate the total surface area.

3. Can the surface area of a function without a definite integral be negative?

No, the surface area of a function without a definite integral cannot be negative. The surface area is always a positive value, representing the area under the curve.

4. How does the surface area of a function without a definite integral relate to the function's derivative?

The surface area of a function without a definite integral is related to the function's derivative by the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus. The derivative of a function represents the slope of the function at a specific point, while the surface area represents the total area under the curve of the function.

5. Can the surface area of a function without a definite integral be infinite?

Yes, the surface area of a function without a definite integral can be infinite if the function has an infinite limit at one or both of its endpoints. This can occur with functions such as y = 1/x, where the area under the curve approaches infinity as x approaches 0.