Surface Area of a part of a plane inside an ellipsoid.

In summary, the surface area of the region formed by the plane 9x+10y+z=6 inside the elliptic cylinder \frac{x^2}{25} +\frac{y^2}{100} =1 can be found by using the double integral of the area of the ellipse multiplied by the normal vector of the plane. This results in an answer of 50pi\sqrt{182}. One can also parameterize the plane and use the formula dS = |Rx X Ry|dx dy to calculate the surface area, which yields \sqrt{182} times the area of the ellipse.
Raziel2701

Homework Statement

Find the surface area of that part of the plane 9x+10y+z=6 that lies inside the elliptic cylinder [tex] \frac{x^2}{25} +\frac{y^2}{100} =1[/tex]

2. The attempt at a solution

Once again I was just told that the surface area would be equal to the double integral of the area of the ellipse times the normal vector of the plane. Which gives me the correct answer being [tex]50pi\sqrt{182}[/tex] but I have no clue how this was obtained. I'm looking at my book for answers, for equivalencies in Stokes' Theorem that would indicate this but I can't find anything.

Is this because to calculate a surface integral, we must approximate the patch area of S and in this case we can actually find the area rather than using the cross product of the partials of the vector?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you parameterize the plane as

R(x,y) = <x, y, 6-9x-10y>

and use the formula dS = |Rx X Ry|dx dy

you get [itex]dS = \sqrt{182}\, dxdy[/itex], and the area becomes

[tex]\int\int_A (1)\sqrt{182}\, dxdy[/tex]

which is [itex]\sqrt{182}Area(A)[/itex] and, of course, the area of the ellipse is [itex]\pi(5)(10)[/itex]

Related to Surface Area of a part of a plane inside an ellipsoid.

1. What is the formula for calculating the surface area of a part of a plane inside an ellipsoid?

The formula for calculating the surface area of a part of a plane inside an ellipsoid is: A = 2πab + (πc^2)/sin^-1(e) + (πbc^2)/sin^-1(e) - (πa^2)/sin^-1(e), where a, b, and c are the semi-axes of the ellipsoid, and e is the eccentricity.

2. How is the surface area of a part of a plane inside an ellipsoid different from the surface area of the entire ellipsoid?

The surface area of a part of a plane inside an ellipsoid is a portion of the total surface area of the ellipsoid, whereas the surface area of the entire ellipsoid refers to the surface area of the entire 3D shape. The surface area of a part of a plane inside an ellipsoid is always smaller than the surface area of the entire ellipsoid.

3. Can the surface area of a part of a plane inside an ellipsoid be negative?

No, the surface area of a part of a plane inside an ellipsoid cannot be negative. It represents the physical surface area of a 3D shape and cannot have a negative value.

4. How does the shape of the ellipsoid affect the surface area of a part of a plane inside it?

The shape of the ellipsoid affects the surface area of a part of a plane inside it because the semi-axes and eccentricity of the ellipsoid determine the specific formula for calculating the surface area. A more elongated ellipsoid will have a larger surface area of a part of a plane inside it compared to a more spherical ellipsoid with the same volume.

5. Is there a simplified way to calculate the surface area of a part of a plane inside an ellipsoid?

Yes, there are simplified formulas for calculating the surface area of a part of a plane inside an ellipsoid for specific cases such as when the plane is parallel to one of the semi-axes or when the plane intersects the ellipsoid at the center. However, for a general case, the formula mentioned in the first question must be used.