Surds in polar form of imaginary number

In summary, according to the homework statement, the complex number z that is 2√3-2i in polar form lies in the 4th quadrant of the Argand plane. To find the appropriate argument for z, one must first find the trigonometric representation of z and then add 11pi/6 or -pi/6 to it.
Aerospace93

Homework Statement

Find the polar form for zw by first putting z and w into polar form.
z=2√3-2i, w= -1+i

Homework Equations

Tan-1(-√3/3)= 5∏/6

The Attempt at a Solution

r= √[(2√3)2+(-2)2]=4
tanθ= -2/(2√3)=-1/√3=-√3/3=> acording to above... tan-1(-√3/3)= 5∏/6
so, in polar form z should be 4[cos(5∏/6)+isin(5∏/6)]...
However, in the markscheme as well as in another source i have (thus me deducing there was no coincidence) they've put 4[cos(-∏/6)+isin(-∏/6)].
I understand how tan(5∏/6) and tan(-∏/6) both equal(-√3/3)... though that's not the case for when it comes to cos(5∏/6) and cos(-∏/6).
So i would appreciate it if someone explained to me where i have gone wrong... and i think the question is pretty clear but if you think i haven't explained myself correctly go forth and tell me!

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Sketch ##z = 2 \sqrt{3} -2i## in the Argand plane. What quadrant does it lie?

Tangent is not a "one-to-one" function and so arctangent is not "well-defined". In fact, you calculator should show you that [itex]tan(5\pi/6)= tan(-\pi/6)[/itex]. Which quadrant is [itex](2\sqrt{3}, -2)[/itex] in? Where are [itex]5\pi/6[/itex] and [itex]-\pi/6[/itex]?

I'm new to imaginary numbers so bare w me here...
z=2√3−2i in the Argand plane lies in the 4th quadrant...?

5π/6 lies in the 2nd Q. and −π/6 doesn't lie on any Q? π/6 lies in the first quadrant. What's the next step?

So if your complex number lies in the 4th quadrant, what is the appropriate argument?

Do you see how the other argument arises?

hun? I am don't understand what you're saying... If i look at the 4th quadrant of the trigonometric circle then wouldn't it be 11pi/6? which i guess is the reflection of the pi/6 on the x-axis?? as I've told you, I am not sure how to work myself around this yet

The trig functions, and so the polar representation of complex numbers, is "modulo [itex]2\pi[/itex]". That is [itex]-\pi/6[/itex] is exactly the same as [itex]2\pi- \pi/6= 11\pi/6[/itex].

that makes sense. so i would guess that adding 11pi/6 or -pi/6 to something (pheta1 + pheta2) if i were to be multiplying to complex numbers in polar form then i would get the same result?

4[cos(-∏/6)+isin(-∏/6)]*2[cos(3∏/4)+isin(3∏/4)] = 4[cos(11∏/6)+isin(11∏/6)]*2[cos(3∏/4)+isin(3∏/4)] ?

could someone confirm this for me? thanks

Yes, the two angles represent the same point, but generally we choose the argument such that ##arg(z) \in [0,\pi],##or##[0,-\pi]##

This is why the book gives the argument -pi/6 in the solution.

The reason you got 5pi/6, which also satisfies arctan(##-1/\sqrt{3})## is because there we deal with ##z = -2\sqrt{3} + 2i##. So blindly computing arctan(..) without thinking where the complex number lies causes problems.

Related to Surds in polar form of imaginary number

1. What is the polar form of an imaginary number?

The polar form of an imaginary number is a way of representing a complex number in terms of its magnitude (or absolute value) and angle. It is written as r(cosθ + isinθ), where r is the magnitude and θ is the angle in radians.

2. How do you convert a surd to polar form?

To convert a surd (a square root of a negative number) to polar form, first find the magnitude by taking the absolute value of the number inside the square root. Then, divide the angle by 2 and find the sine and cosine of this angle. The polar form will be √r(cos(θ/2) + isin(θ/2)), where r is the magnitude and θ is the angle divided by 2.

3. Can you use surds in polar form to perform operations?

Yes, surds in polar form can be used to perform operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. To add or subtract, simply combine like terms. To multiply, multiply the magnitudes and add the angles. To divide, divide the magnitudes and subtract the angles.

4. How do surds in polar form differ from rectangular form?

Surds in polar form are written in terms of magnitude and angle, while rectangular form is written in terms of real and imaginary components (a + bi). Polar form is often preferred for its simplicity in representing complex numbers, while rectangular form is more useful for performing mathematical operations.

5. What are the applications of surds in polar form?

Surds in polar form are commonly used in engineering, physics, and other scientific fields to represent complex numbers. They are also useful in performing calculations involving vectors, alternating currents, and other quantities that have both magnitude and direction.