Suppose function g is defined as follows: g(x)=-(1/2)x-3

• Thread starter Jaco Viljoen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary: And a constant source of confusion for the ones reading things like "-1/2x". The proper interpretation is as Sammy wrote: -1/2 times x, but we are torn between wondering whether the person who wrote this understands the rules of precedence, or not.
Jaco Viljoen
Suppose the function g is defined as follows:
g(x)=-(1/2)x-3
Write down the D:g and solve the equation 4^(gx)=8Thank you

Homework Equations

g(x)=-(1/2)x-3
4^(gx)=8

The Attempt at a Solution

D:g (-∞,∞) because the function is a line,
4^((-1/2)x-3)=8
log4^((-1/2)x-3)=log8
(-1/2x)-3=(log8)/(log4)
(-1/2x)-3=1.5
(-1/2x)=4.5 add 3 to both sides
x=-9

Have I got it right?
Thank you,

Physics news on Phys.org
Jaco Viljoen said:
g(x)=-(1/2)x-3
Write down the D:g and solve the equation 4^(gx)=8Thank you

Homework Equations

g(x)=-(1/2)x-3
4^(gx)=8

4^((-1/2)x-3)=8
log4^((-1/2)x-3)=log8
(-1/2x)-3=(log8)/(log4)
(-1/2x)-3=1.5
x=-9

Have I got it right?
Thank you,

You can check this for yourself: plug in x = -9 and see if it works! You should develop, as a matter if routine, the habit of checking your own work. There will be many times (for example, on exams) when the option of asking questions on-line is unavailable to you, and you should try not to rely on it.

Likes Jaco Viljoen
That is correct, but you got sloppy with your parentheses.
You started with (-1/2)x - 3 and then switched at some point to (-1/2x)-3. These are different expressions meaning ## -\frac12 x - 3 ## or ## -\frac{1}{2 x} - 3 ##.
Luckily, you knew that you meant and solved for x correctly.

Likes Jaco Viljoen
Ray Vickson said:
You can check this for yourself: plug in x = -9 and see if it works! You should develop, as a matter if routine, the habit of checking your own work. There will be many times (for example, on exams) when the option of asking questions on-line is unavailable to you, and you should try not to rely on it.

Hi Ray,
Thank you for the reply,
-9 is correct, I have checked it.
I just want a confirmation that I did the right thing with regards to the question.
Thank you again,

Jaco

RUber said:
You started with (-1/2)x - 3 and then switched at some point to (-1/2x)-3. These are different expressions meaning ## -\frac12 x - 3 ## or ## -\frac{1}{2 x} - 3 ##.

Ruber,
I realized that my parentheses were wrong and changed them after from-1/(2x) which was also wrong, must have missed a coupleor corrected them incorrectly,
I write my work out first and then retype in the forum.

I do need some practice with the typing as I often make this error,
Thank you.

Jaco Viljoen said:
Hi Ray,
Thank you for the reply,
-9 is correct, I have checked it.
I just want a confirmation that I did the right thing with regards to the question.
Thank you again,

Jaco

Yes, you did it correctly.

Likes Jaco Viljoen
Jaco Viljoen said:
g(x)=-(1/2)x-3
Write down the D:g and solve the equation 4^(gx)=8
gx makes no sense in this context. The equation you want to solve is $$4^{g(x)} = 8$$
Jaco Viljoen said:
Thank you

Homework Equations

g(x)=-(1/2)x-3
4^(gx)=8
See above.
Jaco Viljoen said:

4^((-1/2)x-3)=8
log4^((-1/2)x-3)=log8
(-1/2x)-3=(log8)/(log4)
(-1/2x)-3=1.5
x=-9

Have I got it right?
Thank you,

Mark44 said:
gx makes no sense in this context. The equation you want to solve is
$$4^{g(x)}=8$$

Hi Mark,
You are correct, I omitted the parentheses accidentally.
Thank you

RUber said:
Actually, those two expressions are equivalent.

-1/2x ##\displaystyle\ =-\frac{1}{2}x\ .##

Added in Edit:
As Mark points out below, writing the expression in this manner is bad practice.

Last edited:
RUber said:
SammyS said:
Actually, those two expressions are equivalent.

-1/2x ##\displaystyle\ =-\frac{1}{2}x\ .##
And a constant source of confusion for the ones reading things like "-1/2x". The proper interpretation is as Sammy wrote: -1/2 times x, but we are torn between wondering whether the person who wrote this understands the rules of precedence, or not.[/quote]

Related to Suppose function g is defined as follows: g(x)=-(1/2)x-3

1. What does the function g(x)=-1/2x-3 represent?

The function g(x) represents a linear function with a slope of -1/2 and a y-intercept of -3. It is written in slope-intercept form, where the slope is represented by the coefficient of x (-1/2) and the y-intercept is represented by the constant term (-3).

2. How do you graph the function g(x)=-1/2x-3?

To graph the function g(x), you can use the slope-intercept form. Start by plotting the y-intercept, which is -3 on the y-axis. Then, use the slope (-1/2) to find a second point. This can be done by moving down 1 unit and to the right 2 units from the y-intercept. Connect these two points to create a straight line, which is the graph of g(x).

3. What is the domain and range of the function g(x)=-1/2x-3?

The domain of a function represents all the possible input values, or values of x, for which the function is defined. In this case, the domain of g(x) is all real numbers, since there are no restrictions on the values of x. The range of a function represents all the possible output values, or values of y, for the given input values. For g(x), the range is also all real numbers, as the function is a linear function with a non-zero slope.

4. How do you find the x-intercept and y-intercept of the function g(x)=-1/2x-3?

The x-intercept is the point where the graph of the function intersects with the x-axis. To find the x-intercept, set y=0 in the equation and solve for x. In this case, g(x)=-1/2x-3 becomes 0=-1/2x-3. Solving for x, we get x=-6. This means the x-intercept is at the point (-6,0). The y-intercept, as mentioned before, is the value of y when x=0. In this case, the y-intercept is -3, which we can see from the graph or by setting x=0 in the equation.

5. How can you use the function g(x)=-1/2x-3 to solve real-life problems?

The function g(x) can be used to model real-life situations where there is a constant decrease or rate of change. For example, it can be used to calculate the value of a car over time, where the car's value decreases by 1/2 of its original value per year. It can also be used to calculate the height of an object thrown from a certain height, where the object's height decreases by 1/2 of its original height every second. By plugging in different values for x, we can find the corresponding output values and use them to solve real-life problems involving constant decrease or rate of change.