Superposition of waves - constructive or destructive interfernce?

In summary, the conversation is about a student seeking help in understanding a question about the superposition of waves and interference in microscopes. The student is questioning the feedback they received from a tutor and provides their solution attempt using a formula. Another user joins the conversation and suggests that one of the waves may be inverted before interference occurs, which would result in destructive interference. The student then plots their solution in Excel and concludes that their solution matches the original amplitude, contrary to the feedback they received. They also mention that mentioning microscopes is not relevant to the question.
Alzir
Hi Guys,

I wonder if someone could help check something for me in order to make sure that I'm not making a stupid mistake with this problem as I've been marked wrong on an undergraduate paper, but I'm almost certain that I'm right. I don't quite have enough courage in my convictions to approach the tutor yet, hence why I'm posting this thread.

Homework Statement

The question relates to the superposition of waves and destructive and constructive interference in various types of microscopes, and the question as stated is as follows:

"The two light waves below are shifted one quarter out of phase, draw the resultant wave if these are combined"

The paper shows two waves of equal amplitude, frequency, and wavelength, propagated in the same direction, a quarter of a wavelength out of phase.

The feedback I received was that the resultant amplitude should be smaller than the original, as destructive interference occurs, while I drew a wave which was amplified showing constructive interference.

Homework Equations

The one I'm using is:

Resultant amplitude = 2 x Amplitude (cos [phase shift in radians/2])

I hope that's correct.

The Attempt at a Solution

I assume I'm correct in stating there are 360 degrees in a wave cycle, so in radians that would be 2 times pi, or approximately 6.283.

If the waves are 1/4 out of phase, the phase shift in radians is 2pi/4 (or pi/2), and so therefore approximately 1.57. Dividing this by 2 we get 0.785, and cos of this (in radians) is 0.707. If we take the amplitude of the original waves as 1, then the resultant amplitude is (2 x 1) x 0.707 = 1.414. The resultant amplitude is therefore larger than the original amplitude.

The formula seems to be correct since at half a wavelength out of phase, which is where I know the resultant amplitude is zero, the answer comes out at zero: (2x1) x cos (pi/2) = 2 x 0 = 0

And when maximum constructive interference occurs, i.e. the waves are in phase, (2x1) x cos (0/2) = (2x1) x 1 = 2

Assuming the equation is correct, you would have to shift a third out of phase before the amplitude matches the original amplitude, and then between a third and half a wavelength out of phase, the interference is destructive down to zero:

(2x1) x cos(2.094/2) = 2 x 0.5 = 1

So anyway, can anyone spot a mistake?

Thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you post the drawing? If they are definitely 1/4 wavelength out of phase like this?
phase.gif

You also mention "various types of microscopes". Is it possible one ray becomes inverted before the interference occurs?

Thanks for replying but the diagram is actually quite a rough one so it would be of little use, even if I could post it. The question is exactly as I stated in the OP, i.e.

"The two light waves below are shifted one quarter out of phase, draw the resultant wave if these are combined"

and the waves are identical except for the shift you have shown above.

The inaccurate original diagram, the lack of graph paper for the answer, and the feedback stating simply that the amplitude is less than the original (and therefore destructive interference), leads me to believe that they were not looking for a precise representation of the resultant wave, but rather a demonstration that we understood the principle at work, but I disagree with their assertion that the interference is overall destructive.

Oh and mentioning microscopy was not really relevant to the question, I was just setting the context of the class where the question was asked. It's not a physics class, more medical related (and for that reason I have some reason to suspect that the tutors are not experts in this area ;) - although neither am I!).

Just for fun I plotted it in excel. The forum won't let me upload the excel file but here is the plot..

Attachments

• plot..jpg
    plot..jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 468
Likes 1 person
The only way I can get their answer is if one of the rays is inverted somehow before the interference occurs. Inverting adds 180 degrees and that would result in net destructive interference.

Likes 1 person
Thank very much cwatters, your answer looks identical to mine :)

Related to Superposition of waves - constructive or destructive interfernce?

1. What is the concept of superposition of waves?

The concept of superposition of waves states that when two or more waves meet at the same point in space, their amplitudes will add together to create a new wave. This can result in constructive interference, where the amplitudes add together to create a wave with a larger amplitude, or destructive interference, where the amplitudes cancel out, resulting in a wave with a smaller or zero amplitude.

2. How does constructive interference occur?

Constructive interference occurs when two waves with the same frequency and amplitude meet at the same point in space, causing their amplitudes to add together. This results in a new wave with a larger amplitude than either of the individual waves. This can be observed in phenomena such as standing waves and resonance.

3. What is the result of destructive interference?

Destructive interference occurs when two waves with the same frequency and amplitude meet at the same point in space, but their amplitudes are out of phase (opposite in direction). This causes the amplitudes to cancel out, resulting in a new wave with a smaller or zero amplitude. This can be observed in phenomena such as noise cancellation and diffraction patterns.

4. Can waves interfere with each other if they have different frequencies?

Yes, waves with different frequencies can still interfere with each other, but the resulting interference pattern may be more complex. This is because the waves may have different wavelengths and thus may not always meet at the same point in space, causing a varying interference pattern. However, the concept of superposition still applies and the resulting wave will be a combination of the two original waves.

5. What are some real-life applications of constructive and destructive interference?

Constructive and destructive interference have numerous real-life applications. Constructive interference is used in technologies such as lasers, fiber optics, and musical instruments. Destructive interference is used in noise-cancellation headphones, diffraction gratings, and acoustical engineering. Both types of interference are also important in understanding and studying phenomena such as light interference, sound waves, and electromagnetic radiation.