Superposition of cosine functions for tides

In summary, the expert is trying to graph tidal data using a cosine function. However, they are lost and need help to more accurately represent the data.
flyinghigh

Homework Statement

I have 1.805cos(2pi / 12.165x) +3.125 as the function of tidal data. However I need to use another function, superimpose, to more accurately graph the data for the tides. And yeah I'm pretty lost... Does the next function have to be something to do wit the moon and its rotation around earth?

And help would be greatly appreciated :)

Physics news on Phys.org
I have no idea what you are asking! Why is that not accurate? What do you mean by "superimpose" another function?

Sorry, should of explained that to find a more accurate representation of the tide, you use the sum of two cosine functions, which is also known as superposition. So yeah, the tide is represented by y1+y2, where y1=the above function, y2=??...

that obviously depends upon the data!

Well then what area of the data? Since I already have the first function that takes into account the tide heights and occurence, what else is required? That's why I asked if it was based on the moon's orbit etc.

Anyone have any advice?

flyinghigh said:
I have 1.805cos(2pi / 12.165x) +3.125 as the function of tidal data. However I need to use another function, superimpose, to more accurately graph the data for the tides. And yeah I'm pretty lost... Does the next function have to be something to do wit the moon and its rotation around earth?
You have to be more explicit. What does that mean? What is x? What are you trying to show?

Defennder said:
You have to be more explicit. What does that mean? What is x? What are you trying to show?

1.805 is the amplitude of the waves, as in the average difference between the high tide and the low tide. 2pi/12.165x is the period of the tide, as in how frequently it occurs. 3.125 is the average water height and hence the vertical phase shift of the function. So then I need another function in the same form, as in y=Acos(Bx-C)+D, that I then add to my function.

I'm trying to show, more accurately, tidal data. I think the second function has to be something to do with the moon and it's effects on certain tides? But yeah anyone who know's what they're talking about please help!

Thanks

flyinghigh

Related to Superposition of cosine functions for tides

What is the concept of superposition of cosine functions for tides?

The concept of superposition of cosine functions for tides is based on the idea that the combined effect of multiple cosine functions can be used to model the tide levels at a specific location. This is because the tides are influenced by multiple factors, such as the gravitational pull of the moon and sun, and the shape of the coastline. By combining these individual cosine functions, we can create a more accurate and comprehensive model of tides.

How is superposition of cosine functions used in predicting tides?

Superposition of cosine functions is used in predicting tides by using mathematical models to calculate the combined effect of multiple factors on the tide levels. This allows for more accurate predictions of high and low tides at a specific location, which is important for activities such as boating and fishing.

What are the limitations of using superposition of cosine functions for tide predictions?

While superposition of cosine functions is a useful tool for predicting tides, it is not a perfect model. It does not take into account other factors that may affect tides, such as wind and atmospheric pressure. Additionally, local factors such as the shape of the coastline and underwater topography may also affect tide levels, which cannot be accurately captured by this model.

Can superposition of cosine functions be used for all bodies of water?

Superposition of cosine functions can be used for most bodies of water, including oceans, seas, and large lakes. However, it may not be as accurate for smaller bodies of water, such as rivers and estuaries, where local factors may have a greater influence on tide levels.

How does climate change affect the accuracy of superposition of cosine functions for tides?

Climate change can affect the accuracy of superposition of cosine functions for tides in two ways. Firstly, it can lead to changes in the gravitational pull of the moon and sun, which can impact tide levels. Secondly, rising sea levels due to climate change can alter the shape of coastlines and underwater topography, which can also affect tides. These changes may require adjustments to the mathematical models used for predicting tides.