Supermeshes and Dependent Current Sources: Determining the Constraint EQ

In summary: In the second example, i1 and i2 are also the loop currents, but this time i1 is the actual current in a branch, while i2 is the current flowing into the branch. This means that the sum of i1 and i2 must be i1, since i1 is already in the same direction as the current flow. Therefore, the equation is: i1 = i1 + i2.In summary, Wikipedia's Mesh Analysis page explains how to use loop currents and branch currents to solve circuit problems. The last equation in each section represents the sum of loop currents and branch currents in a specific branch, taking into account the direction of the currents. In the first example, the equation is is = i2
Saladsamurai

Homework Statement

I am doing some review and I though that I had this down pat, but I am getting confused a little. I am looking at the Wikipedia on Mesh Analysis.

I do not understand the last equation of each section. How are they getting the signs of the currents?

In the top image it looks like i1 flows down the middle branch, is flows up the middle branch, and i2 flows up the middle branch, so I would have said that i2 + is = i1 but that is wrong.

In a similar manner, I get the equation in the second diagram wrong too!

Where is my thinking flawed? How can systematically determine the contraint equation no matter what way the currents are directed?

Screenshot2011-04-04at113924PM.png

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mesh_analysis#Supermesh"

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, I guess my logic does work for the dependent source in the bottom example, but not for the current source...

any thoughts?

In the first example, i1 and i2 are the loop currents. is is the actual current flowing in a branch. That means that the sum of i1 and i2 in that branch must be is.

Since i2 flows in the same direction as is, you write: is = i2 - i1

Related to Supermeshes and Dependent Current Sources: Determining the Constraint EQ

1. What is a supermesh?

A supermesh is a special type of mesh that is created when two or more meshes in a circuit share a current source or a voltage source. Supermeshes can simplify circuit analysis by reducing the number of unknown variables.

2. How are supermeshes and dependent current sources related?

Supermeshes and dependent current sources are related because a dependent current source is a type of current source that is controlled by the current in another part of the circuit. This can often result in the creation of a supermesh.

3. What is the constraint equation in a supermesh?

The constraint equation in a supermesh is an equation that represents the relationship between the currents in the two or more meshes that make up the supermesh. It is derived by applying Kirchhoff's Voltage Law (KVL) around the supermesh.

4. How do you determine the constraint equation in a supermesh?

To determine the constraint equation in a supermesh, you must first identify the shared current source or voltage source that creates the supermesh. Then, you can apply KVL around the supermesh and use the known values of the current sources and resistances to solve for the constraint equation.

5. Why is it important to determine the constraint equation in a supermesh?

Determining the constraint equation in a supermesh is important because it allows you to simplify the circuit by reducing the number of unknown variables. This makes it easier to analyze the circuit and find the desired solution. Additionally, it can help identify any errors in the circuit analysis if the constraint equation does not hold true.