Super fun projectile motion ski slope problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a ski-jumping problem where a ski-jumper starts horizontally at a speed of 20 ms and 3 m above a downwards slope at a 45 degree angle. The equations used to find the solution are y = Vsinθt - (.5)gt^2 + 3, x = Vcosθt, and tanβ = ||y|| / ||x||. The solution is found by using the quadratic formula and taking into account the 3 m starting position. The accuracy of the solution is questioned, but it appears to be correct.
Peppo

Homework Statement

A ski-jumper comes off the bottom of the slope going horizontally at a speed of 20 ms. It starts off 3 m above a slope going downwards at an angle of 45 degrees. How far along the slope does it land.

Homework Equations

1) y= Vsinθ - (.5)gt^2
2) x= Vcosθt
3) tanβ = ||y|| / ||x||

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted to find the solution by considering the beginning of the slope to be at the origin with the skiier starting 3 metres above it so my equation for y position was:

4) y = Vsinθt - (.5)gt^2 + 3

-which simplifies to: y = -.5gt^2 + 3 since sinθ is zero.

The x position is given by equation 2.
Using equation 3 to change equation 2 to give the y-position corresponding to the x-position led me to:

-y/V = t (since Vcosθ = V in this case)

I then used this in equation 4 to replace t, and used the quadratic formula to get an answer for the y value.

After this step the distance is just a matter of finding the hypotenuse of a triangle and isn't of interest to me, but what I'm concerned about is that the answer I got is off slightly from what I found when I measured out the problem on computation paper and it's outside (just by a little too much) the error margins given the tools I used for drawing it.

My question is whether or not I correctly incorporated the starting position of 3 metres above the 45 degree angle slope? Thanks :)

Physics news on Phys.org
That looks right. If you'd shown your working and answers I would have seen whether your answers accord with mine.

Related to Super fun projectile motion ski slope problem

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air under the influence of gravity. It follows a curved path known as a parabola.

2. How does projectile motion relate to skiing?

In skiing, projectile motion occurs when a skier is launched into the air off a jump or slope. The skier's body acts as the projectile, following a parabolic path until they land on the ground.

3. What factors affect projectile motion on a ski slope?

The factors that affect projectile motion on a ski slope include the initial velocity of the skier, the angle of the slope, air resistance, and the force of gravity.

4. How can projectile motion be calculated on a ski slope?

Projectile motion on a ski slope can be calculated using mathematical equations such as the kinematic equations or by using simulation software. It requires knowing the initial velocity, angle of the slope, and the force of gravity.

5. Why is understanding projectile motion important for skiing?

Understanding projectile motion is important for skiing because it allows skiers to accurately predict their trajectory and landing point when performing jumps or tricks. It also helps with safety by understanding how different factors can affect the skier's motion on the slope.