Super Conducting Coil Properties

In summary, a YBCO wire with a 1 kW/in energy density can hold 20 kW of energy, and would need a spacing of 1 inch between wires to avoid field cancellation.

If additional source please link or cite.

• Website

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • College

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
GoldenAtlantis
I was wondering what the energy density of superconducting coil/tape is. I essentially what to be able to say is for every centimeter or inch of this material this is the amount of energy could be in it (kW, kWh, etc). So the background; I would like for the parameters to be for (La1.85Ba0.15CuO4), YBCO (Yttrium-Barium-Copper-Oxide) as one case and BiSrCaCu2O9 to be for the second case. However, if you choose to change the chemical makeup or substitute a type of Superconductor, I would like to aim at high temperature highest energy density goal (not very rare material). The last part and harder part would be what would the necessary spacing be if you lined two of these coils up to each other so the fields do not cancel out? Thanks for help.

i.e. 5 inch length wire (1 inch squared rectangle) of YBCO has a energy
density of 1 kW of energy per inch <squared box of rectangle> (1kW/in), with a spacing of 1 inch between wires. Which means 4 wires vertically stacked would get a size of 5x1x10 (LxWxH) inches and 20 kW in potential energy.

Thanks for the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you clear on the difference between energy and power? kW is a power unit...

Unit of Power

Thanks for the reply. I was trying to leave it open ended to measure. However, I see your point and best to use kWh as the measurement. I can work with conversions to get something. For example so far I have found certain YBCO chemical makeup can create 10 MJ/m^3, at T5. 3,600,000 J (or 3.6 MJ) – 1 kWh (kilowatt-hour). At this point I am open to energy or power suggestions. Thanks

GoldenAtlantis said:
Thanks for the reply. I was trying to leave it open ended to measure. At this point I am open to energy or power suggestions.
I strongly suggest a little physics study. Your confusion here is going to hurt you as you try to move forward.
GoldenAtlantis said:
For example so far I have found certain YBCO chemical makeup can create 10 MJ/m^3, at T5. 3,600,000 J (or 3.6 MJ) – 1 kWh (kilowatt-hour).
10 MJ/m^3 is a common benchmark for YBCO in the magnetic energy storage industry.

GoldenAtlantis said:
...The last part and harder part would be what would the necessary spacing be if you lined two of these coils up to each other so the fields do not cancel out? Thanks for help.

i.e. 5 inch length wire (1 inch squared rectangle) of YBCO has a energy
density of 1 kW of energy per inch <squared box of rectangle> (1kW/in), with a spacing of 1 inch between wires. Which means 4 wires vertically stacked would get a size of 5x1x10 (LxWxH) inches and 20 kW in potential energy.

Thanks for the help.
I have no idea what you are talking about in these paragraphs. Designing superconducting magnets requires a thorough knowledge of physics as well as significant engineering and cryogenics skills. We can wish for shortcuts, but there aren't any...

Last edited:

Related to Super Conducting Coil Properties

1. What is a superconducting coil?

A superconducting coil is a type of coil made from a material that exhibits zero electrical resistance when cooled below a certain temperature, known as the critical temperature.

2. What properties make a superconducting coil special?

Superconducting coils have the ability to carry large amounts of electrical current without any energy loss, making them extremely efficient. They also have very strong magnetic fields, up to 100,000 times stronger than traditional electromagnets.

3. How is the critical temperature of a superconducting coil determined?

The critical temperature of a superconducting coil is determined by the type of material used to make the coil. Different materials have different critical temperatures, with some being able to superconduct at much higher temperatures than others.

4. What are some practical applications of superconducting coils?

Superconducting coils are used in various fields such as medical imaging (MRI machines), particle accelerators, and magnetic levitation trains. They are also being researched for use in energy storage and transmission due to their high efficiency.

5. What are the challenges associated with using superconducting coils?

The main challenge with superconducting coils is maintaining the extremely low temperatures required for superconductivity. This requires expensive and complex cooling systems. Additionally, the materials used for superconducting coils are often brittle and difficult to work with, making production and maintenance a challenge.