Summer Assignment Problem Help

In summary, "In summary, the density of the rectangular block is 18.3 +/- 1.7 kg/m^3, with an uncertainty of 9.1%."
Wa1337

Homework Statement

Density + Uncertainty of block?
The mass of a rectangular block is measured to be 2.2 kg with an uncertainty of 0.2 kg. The sides are measured to be 60 +/- 3mm, 50 +/- 1 mm, and 40 +/- 2mm. Find the density of the block in kilograms per cubic meter, giving the uncertainty in the result.

Homework Equations

D=m/V

The Attempt at a Solution

Mass = 2.2 +/- 0.2kg
Volume = 60mm x 50mm x 40mm = 120000mm3

then... 1/50 = .02, 3/60 = .05, 2/40 = .05 ---> sum = .12

120000mm3 x .12 = 14400

therefore V = 120000 +/- 14400mm^3 (Please help me convert this to cubic meters)

D=m/V
=2.2/120000 (really not supposed to use this until i get proper conversion)
= ?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Wa1337,
Finding errors of things takes a little practice, as I'm sure you'll find out soon enough! As you correctly point out, Density = mass / volume. If you're multiplying or dividing, you need to use relative errors (e.g. percentages), not the absolute errors you have provided. Finding the relative error is easy though; all you need to do is take the absolute error ([itex]dx[/itex]), and divide it by the measurement ([itex]x[/itex]). So, for mass, the relative error is [itex]\frac{dx}{x} =\frac{0.2}{2.2} = 0.091[/itex]. I'll let you work out the rel. errors for the dimensions.

You mentioned that you need help converting mm3 to m3, and I agree, it's a bit tricky. You will find it much easier if you started your volume calculation with metres to start with since converting mm to m is much easier.

So, if you make the Density = Mass / Vol calculation, that'll obviously give you the density. To find the error on this density, you need to add your relative errors 'in quadrature'. All this means is that you square all of your relative errors, add them together, and take the square root (i.e. [itex]\sqrt{(\frac{dx}{x})^2 +(\frac{dy}{y})^2 + (\frac{dz}{z})^2 +... }[/itex]) This will give you the relative error of your density. If you need the absolute error of the density, you must multiply the relative error by the value you got for the density.

Related to Summer Assignment Problem Help

1. What is a summer assignment problem?

A summer assignment problem is a task or project given to students to complete during the summer break. It is usually assigned by teachers or professors to help students maintain their knowledge and skills during the summer months.

2. How can I get help with my summer assignment problem?

There are various resources available to help with summer assignment problems. You can ask your teacher or professor for clarification or guidance, seek help from tutors or study groups, or use online resources such as educational websites or forums.

3. What should I do if I am struggling with my summer assignment problem?

If you are struggling with your summer assignment problem, it is important to communicate with your teacher or professor. They may be able to offer additional support or resources. Additionally, you can seek help from classmates or utilize online resources to better understand the material.

4. How can I manage my time effectively while completing my summer assignment problem?

To manage your time effectively while completing your summer assignment problem, it is important to create a schedule and set aside dedicated time each day to work on it. Break down the assignment into smaller tasks and prioritize them accordingly. Eliminate distractions and focus on one task at a time.

5. Is it important to complete my summer assignment problem?

Yes, it is important to complete your summer assignment problem as it helps you retain and reinforce the knowledge and skills learned during the school year. It also prepares you for the upcoming academic year and shows dedication and responsibility to your education.