Summation for a Python function

In summary, the conversation involves a discussion on understanding the values in a given summation and how they are derived. The formula being discussed is Cn+1 = Ʃ Ck Cn-k from k = 0 to n, with C0 being defined as 1. The conversation also touches on the concept of recursive processes and the importance of avoiding double counting when iterating through cases.
BK124

Homework Statement

For formatting sake I've copied a picture of the problem and attached it here: http://i.imgur.com/kOjTy.png

Im not worried about the coding part right now I feel I can handle that, my main issue is trying to understand how the values in the summation are derived. It seems simple enough, but I can't seem to grasp how they got the 10 values in the example there. Once I understand the summation, the coding should be easy. I just need a bit of guidance in how it all's working.

Homework Equations

Cn+1 = Ʃ Ck Cn-k from k = 0 to n

The Attempt at a Solution

Obviously
C0 = 1

Beyond that, here's what my understanding of it seems to be:
For C1
k starts at 0
C1 = C0 * C1-0 + C1 * C1-1

but this is where I get confused.

Attachments

• gfhdfghfgh.PNG
    gfhdfghfgh.PNG
    27.8 KB · Views: 728
Technology news on Phys.org
I suspect one defines the process recursively. How many ways can you draw a line segment between vertices? Each way divides the polygon into two smaller polygons.

You may then have to be careful iterating cases in a way that avoids double counting.

BK124 said:
Cn+1 = Ʃ Ck Cn-k from k = 0 to n

The Attempt at a Solution

Obviously
C0 = 1

Beyond that, here's what my understanding of it seems to be:
For C1
k starts at 0
C1 = C0 * C1-0 + C1 * C1-1

but this is where I get confused.

hmm, i think you are reading the summation notation wrong, Cn+1 doesn't come into the equation, only Cn, the previous term.
C1 = C0*C0 = 1
C2 = C0*C1 + C1*C0 = 2
C3 = C0*C2 + C1*C1 + C2*C0 = 5
C4 = C0*C3 + C1*C2 + C2*C1 + C3*C0 = 14
and so on...

Related to Summation for a Python function

1. What is summation for a Python function?

Summation for a Python function is a process of adding up all the values returned by the function for different inputs. It is used to calculate the total output of a function over a range of inputs.

2. How is summation for a Python function different from a regular summation?

The main difference between summation for a Python function and a regular summation is that the former involves using a function to calculate the values to be added, while the latter simply involves adding a set of given numbers.

3. What is the syntax for summation in Python?

In Python, the syntax for summation using a function is: sum(function(x) for x in range(start, end+1)). This will return the total sum of the outputs of the function for all values of x from start to end.

4. Can I use any function for summation in Python?

Yes, you can use any function for summation in Python as long as the function takes in a numerical input and returns a numerical output. This includes built-in functions, user-defined functions, and lambda functions.

5. What are the benefits of using summation for a Python function?

Using summation for a Python function allows for a more efficient and concise way of calculating the total output of a function over a range of inputs. It also allows for greater flexibility in terms of the type of function that can be used for summation.