Sum of non-identical non-central Chi-square random variables.

In summary, the conversation discusses the distribution of the sum of non-central chi-square random variables with different variances. The original poster is interested in the distribution of the sum of squares of non-zero mean complex Gaussian random variables. It is noted that this is not distributed as a non-central chi-square, but rather as a chi-square with different parameters. An expression for the distribution can be written using the characteristic functions of the individual distributions.
no999
Hi All,

By definition, the sum of iid non-central chi-square RVs is non-central chi-square. what is the sum of ono-identical non-central chi-square RV.

I have a set of non zero mean complex Gaussian random variables H_i with a mean m_i and variance σ_i . i=1...N. H
the result of their square is non-central chi-square RM. Now what is the distribution of the sum of those non-central chi-square RV given that their variances are different "i.e., they are independent but non-identical distributed".

Kind Regards

Physics news on Phys.org
I am also very much interested in the answer. Anyone know the answer??

Thanks

It is easy to write down an expression for the distribution, e.g. using the characteristic functions of the individual distributions.

kdl05, this is quite an old thread. Hence it would be useful if you could specify the question you are interested in. So if ##X_i~N(\mu_i,\sigma_i)##, the original poster seemed to be intereste in the distribution of ##\sum_i X_i^2##, which is not distributed as a non-central chi square. What is chi square distributed is ##\sum_i (X_i/\sigma_i)^2##.

Last edited:

Related to Sum of non-identical non-central Chi-square random variables.

1. What is the concept of non-central Chi-square random variables?

The non-central Chi-square random variables are a type of probability distribution that is used to model the sum of independent non-identical random variables. It is often used in statistical analysis to determine the probability of a particular outcome based on a set of non-identical variables.

2. How is the sum of non-central Chi-square random variables calculated?

The sum of non-central Chi-square random variables is calculated by adding together the individual non-central Chi-square random variables. This can be done by either using mathematical formulas or by using statistical software.

3. What is the significance of non-identical variables in the sum of non-central Chi-square random variables?

The non-identical variables in the sum of non-central Chi-square random variables represent different factors or variables that can affect the overall outcome. By including these non-identical variables, we are able to obtain a more accurate and realistic representation of the probability distribution.

4. How is the sum of non-central Chi-square random variables different from the sum of central Chi-square random variables?

The sum of non-central Chi-square random variables takes into account the non-identical nature of the variables, whereas the sum of central Chi-square random variables assumes that the variables are all identical. This can result in different probability distributions and outcomes.

5. Can the sum of non-central Chi-square random variables be used in real-world applications?

Yes, the sum of non-central Chi-square random variables is commonly used in various fields such as finance, engineering, and biology to model and analyze complex systems. It can also be used in hypothesis testing and to make predictions about future events.