Suggestions for sources with detailed calculations in quantum field theory.

In summary, the conversation is about seeking sources on the internet for studying and brushing up on classical and quantum field theory without the help of a teacher or friend. The speakers discuss the lack of intermediate steps in many books and suggest Halzen & Martin's "Quarks and Leptons" as a good resource with a suitable number of explicit calculations. They also mention Srednicki's book as a free option with potential access to a solutions manual. The speakers note that while an average student should be able to do these calculations, some initial assistance may be needed.
arroy_0205
Can you suggest any source available on internet which may be particularly helpful for those studying/brushing up knowledge of classical or quantum field theory without help of any teacher or friend? Some calculations are at first not so straightforward and there are many types of calculations requiring special tricks and caution to get the correct answer. Most books do not show all the intermediate steps of calculations perhaps because such books are meant to be used under guidence of teachers who are supposed to help the students by showing detailed steps in the classroom. But those with practically no such help face difficulty. Is there any help on internet for such students?

Physics news on Phys.org
What is your mathematical/physical background? Are you sure to be enough prepared for QFT? The point is that usually most books don't perform explicit calculation because they are often rather long and an average student can do it by himself.
However, according to my experience a very good book with an accettable number of explicit calculations is Halzen & Martin - "Quarks and Leptons". It is quite explicit in the first part, when you need it to be.

I agree that an average student should be able to do the calculations but perhaps at initial stage he or she may need some assistance. (At least someone like me would need.) I would consider standard qft books at the level of Peskin and Schroeder.

You can get Srednicki's book for free, and try to find the solutions manual somewhere

Related to Suggestions for sources with detailed calculations in quantum field theory.

1. What is quantum field theory?

Quantum field theory is a theoretical framework that combines the principles of quantum mechanics and special relativity to describe the behavior of subatomic particles and their interactions.

2. Why are detailed calculations important in quantum field theory?

Detailed calculations are important in quantum field theory because they allow us to make predictions about the behavior of particles and their interactions, which can then be tested through experiments. This helps us to better understand the fundamental laws that govern the universe.

3. What are some sources for detailed calculations in quantum field theory?

Some sources for detailed calculations in quantum field theory include textbooks, research papers, and online lecture notes. It is important to choose sources from reputable authors and institutions to ensure accuracy and reliability.

4. How can I improve my skills in performing detailed calculations in quantum field theory?

To improve your skills in performing detailed calculations in quantum field theory, it is important to practice regularly and seek guidance from experienced researchers or professors. You can also attend workshops or conferences related to quantum field theory to learn from experts in the field.

5. Are there any online resources for detailed calculations in quantum field theory?

Yes, there are many online resources available for detailed calculations in quantum field theory, such as online lecture notes, video lectures, and interactive simulations. Some universities also offer online courses on quantum field theory that include detailed calculations as part of the curriculum.