Suggestions for improving mechanic energy project?

In summary, the conversation discusses choosing a project for school and the idea of using a simple experiment to explain formulas related to mechanic energy. The proposed experiment involves dropping a ball into a container filled with a dense fluid to observe changes in kinetic and potential energy. However, there are concerns about the ball burning due to friction and the height of the drop. Suggestions for the experiment include using a lighter ball, filling the container with water instead of a dense fluid, reducing the height of the drop, or using a different method to elevate the ball.
sitokinin
We have to choose project in school about the lessons we take. I chose physics, and decided to compose the project about mechanic energy. Actually I purposed to explain the formulas with a simple experiment.

In my idea, we leave the ball (enough highness) with no velocity into a big container which fulled with dense fluid. So we can understand the kinetic energy won't continuing to increase because of the friction, and it will be going with fixed velocity. However I thought to increase the potential energy, and keep the ball fixed place for a while. Thus I want to choose the densiest fluid to increase the friction but the ball might burn, and the highness is the big problem.

Have you any suggestion about it?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Or other ideas? One suggestion is to use a lighter weight ball in the experiment. This way, the potential energy of the ball won't be as high and it will be less likely to burn. You could also fill the container with water instead of a dense fluid. This way, the friction will still be enough to slow down the ball and you won't have to worry about the ball burning. Additionally, you could reduce the height from which the ball is dropped, or use a different method to elevate the ball if you don't want to drop it. For example, you could use a balloon to lift the ball up and then release it. This would reduce the potential energy of the ball as well.

Related to Suggestions for improving mechanic energy project?

1. What is mechanical energy?

Mechanical energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its motion or position. It is the sum of an object's kinetic energy and potential energy.

2. How is mechanical energy calculated?

The mechanical energy of an object can be calculated by adding its kinetic energy, which is half of its mass multiplied by its velocity squared, and its potential energy, which is its mass multiplied by the acceleration due to gravity and its height above the ground.

3. What are some examples of mechanical energy?

Some examples of mechanical energy include a moving car, a swinging pendulum, a rolling ball, and a stretched rubber band.

4. How is mechanical energy converted into other forms of energy?

Mechanical energy can be converted into other forms of energy such as heat, sound, or electrical energy. For example, when a car brakes, its mechanical energy is converted into heat through friction.

5. How is mechanical energy used in everyday life?

Mechanical energy is used in various ways in everyday life, such as in transportation (cars, trains, bicycles), household appliances (washing machines, blenders), and sports (swinging a bat, throwing a ball).