Suggestions for GAP year employment

In summary, the conversation discusses the options for someone who has recently graduated with a bachelor's degree in physics and is taking a gap year. The individual is considering either working or traveling during this time, but is unsure about the potential consequences of leaving a full-time job after only a year. The group agrees that it is common for entry-level employees to move on when better opportunities arise, and suggests being upfront about future plans during interviews or negotiations. They also recommend looking into contract work and considering maximizing earnings for potential graduate school expenses. Finally, the conversation touches on the possibility of continuing to work for a previous professor during the gap year for further experience in the field.
majormuss
Hi all,
I am currently taking a year off after graduating with my bachelors in physics. Hence I have a year to either work (really need to make money) or travel. I have a feeling that if I applied to a full-time job and left after a year, it would be a form of betrayal. Is it wise to sign up for a full time job and just leave after a year? Is this common? Preferably, I will like to find a job related to physics but this seems quite difficult. Any suggestions about what I should do?

Physics news on Phys.org
I wouldn't worry about it too much if you can commit to a year of employment. It's quite common for people in entry-level positions to move on when better opportunities arise.

Be up front about it. I don't think there is any point in broadcasting the point on your resume, but when you are interviewing or negotiating tell them that you are interested in pursuing graduate studies at some time but that you're willing to commit at least a year to the position. You might also want to look for contract work.

Yes it would be great to get something physics-related, but failing that, it might help to aim to maximize the amount that you earn so you can build up a cushion for your graduate school years.

A gap year is usually taken to expand your knowledge of the world or gain insight/experience into what you want to pursue in grad school. Regarding the latter, during a gap year many physics graduates continue to working for the professor they worked for as a senior.

There are no hard and fast rules, however, other than avoiding burning bridges with anyone, including your short term employer.

Related to Suggestions for GAP year employment

1. What are some common gap year employment options for science majors?

There are many gap year employment options for science majors, such as internships, research assistant positions, lab technician roles, or teaching opportunities.

2. How can gap year employment enhance my scientific skills and knowledge?

Gap year employment allows you to gain hands-on experience in your field of interest, work with experienced professionals, and apply your academic knowledge to real-world situations. This can greatly enhance your scientific skills and knowledge.

3. Are there any specific skills or qualifications that are highly sought after in gap year employment for science majors?

Some skills that are highly valued in gap year employment for science majors include strong analytical abilities, proficiency in relevant software and lab techniques, and good communication and teamwork skills.

4. How can I find gap year employment opportunities in the science field?

You can start by searching on job websites, networking with professionals in your field, and reaching out to organizations or companies that align with your interests. Your university's career center may also have resources and connections for gap year employment.

5. Can gap year employment help me stand out in the job market after graduation?

Absolutely! Gap year employment can demonstrate your commitment to your field of study, your adaptability and initiative, and your ability to apply theory to practice. It can also provide you with valuable industry connections and references for future job opportunities.