Suggest me book on Electrostatics

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for a book on Electrostatics that is beginner friendly and covers the subject from the very beginning. The person recommending books suggests Purcell and Griffith's as options, with Griffith's being a personal favorite for its easy readability and ability to provide physical intuition.
elst
I need some book on Electrostatics. I don't have knowledge in this field so I need something "beginner friendly", I mean it should cover this subject from very beginning.
Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
elst said:
I need some book on Electrostatics. I don't have knowledge in this field so I need something "beginner friendly", I mean it should cover this subject from very beginning.
Thanks in advance.

What level of math are you prepared for? If you've been through a year of calculus, the first few chapters of Purcell will do it.

Likes elst
Hi, thanks for reply. I'm familiar with math, it is not problem :)

Purcell's a good one, but Griffith's is my personal favorite. If you're willing to deal with a little bit of hand-waviness for the sake of gaining physical intuition, you can't go wrong. It's also incredibly easy to read.

Likes elst

Related to Suggest me book on Electrostatics

1. What is Electrostatics?

Electrostatics is the branch of physics that deals with the study of electric charges at rest. It involves the behavior of electric charges, both positive and negative, and the forces they exert on each other.

2. What are some recommended books on Electrostatics?

Some popular books on Electrostatics include "Electricity and Magnetism" by Edward M. Purcell, "Introduction to Electrodynamics" by David J. Griffiths, and "Electrostatics: Exploring, Controlling, and Using Static Electricity" by A.D. Moore.

3. How can understanding Electrostatics be useful?

Understanding Electrostatics can be useful in many areas, including engineering, electronics, and even everyday life. It can help explain the behavior of electrically charged objects and how they interact with each other, as well as how we can harness static electricity for practical applications.

4. Are there any online resources for learning about Electrostatics?

Yes, there are many online resources available for learning about Electrostatics. Some options include Khan Academy, MIT OpenCourseWare, and online lectures and tutorials from various universities.

5. Is a background in physics necessary to understand Electrostatics?

While a background in physics can certainly be helpful, it is not necessary to understand the basic principles of Electrostatics. Many introductory books and online resources provide clear explanations and examples that can be easily understood even without prior knowledge of physics.