Suggest a book for this statics course (exams attached)

In summary, the professor wants students to think like engineers and do drawings instead of solving equations.
Mépris
Hi,

I'm currently studying physics in Europe, and am in some kind of "statics" course. It's a little unclear, as the course name is probably loosely translated from German, and the teacher didn't have any English books to recommend.

He's a great prof, but our classes are almost exclusively him going through a long problem set he assigned to us at the beginning of the semester. It's been that way for around 2.5 months, and we only have class with him once per week.

I badly need to get a book with which I can better understand the theory of what we're doing. He told us that he'd prefer we not use vectors to solve the problems, and instead, do them "graphically" (and algebraically) as that would help build a better intuition for things.

I asked him if I could upload some old exams on a forum to get some book recommendations, and he said it was OK. I've attached them to the post.

Your help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Mépris said:
I badly need to get a book with which I can better understand the theory of what we're doing. He told us that he'd prefer we not use vectors to solve the problems, and instead, do them "graphically" (and algebraically) as that would help build a better intuition for things.

I don't understand that. Vectors are geometric and analytic. Does he want you to break up each equation into its parts on each plane—which is the same as using vectors...

Statics is just a branch of mechanics, so any mechanics book should be appropriate. There are also engineering books on the topic you might find beneficial.

Sorry, I wasn't clear enough. If I recall correctly, he said that there were multiple ways to solve the problems, one of which being using the cross products, and he said he preferred the other way.

The attachments are still pending approval, so I've uploaded the files on an external host. Below is the link to two past exams. Based on this, could you/anyone else reading this, suggest appropriate books? It's very tricky for me because my understanding of the course is very shallow. We haven't covered much theory and he skips certain parts of the syllabus, so I can't really know what to learn!

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/fsiri7pzp61ie/statics

Mépris said:

Student100 said:
I don't understand that.
Statics is just a branch of mechanics, so any mechanics book should be appropriate. There are also engineering books on the topic you might find beneficial.

I would take the comment to mean he wants you to "think like an engineer," which is more about drawing sketches and diagrams than doing pages of vector algebra.

But I don't expect he want you do use really "old-school" graphical methods, and solve some of the those problems by making accurate scale drawings (by hand, not with a CAD package)! But when it was done that way in real life, the more intuition and insight you could get just be looking at the situation, the less you needed to draw.

AlephZero said:
I would take the comment to mean he wants you to "think like an engineer," which is more about drawing sketches and diagrams than doing pages of vector algebra.

But I don't expect he want you do use really "old-school" graphical methods, and solve some of the those problems by making accurate scale drawings (by hand, not with a CAD package)! But when it was done that way in real life, the more intuition and insight you could get just be looking at the situation, the less you needed to draw.

Well that makes sense; In a tedious, torturous, fun sort of way.

AlephZero said:

The first method, yes, but then he said he'd still be somewhat if we did the second method as well.

And Woopy, thanks for the suggestion. Any other options? (i.e, based on the exams)

Related to Suggest a book for this statics course (exams attached)

1. What type of book do you recommend for a statics course?

For a statics course, I recommend a textbook that covers the fundamentals of statics, including topics such as equilibrium, forces, moments, and free-body diagrams. It should also have plenty of practice problems and examples to help reinforce the concepts.

2. Is there a specific author or publisher you recommend?

There are many reputable authors and publishers who have written textbooks on statics. Some popular authors include Ferdinand Beer, Russell Johnston, and Elliot Eisenberg. As for publishers, some well-known names in the field include Pearson, McGraw-Hill, and Wiley.

3. How important are visual aids and diagrams in a statics textbook?

Visual aids and diagrams are crucial in understanding the concepts of statics. They help to illustrate complex concepts and make it easier to visualize and solve problems. Look for a textbook that has clear and detailed diagrams to aid in your understanding.

4. Would an older edition of a textbook still be relevant for a statics course?

In general, it is recommended to use the most recent edition of a textbook for a course. However, if an older edition is significantly cheaper or easily accessible, it can still be relevant as the fundamentals of statics do not change drastically. Just be sure to check with your instructor to see if they have any specific requirements for the textbook edition.

5. Can you recommend any supplementary materials to accompany the textbook?

There are many supplementary materials that can be helpful for a statics course. These can include study guides, online resources, and practice problem sets. Some textbooks also come with access to online resources or companion websites with additional materials. Check with your instructor or classmates for any recommendations or resources they have found useful.