Substituting the angular velocity and moment of inertia

In summary, you were given a problem involving angular momentum and conservation of energy. You found the initial and final angular momenta, and determined that the collision was inelastic. You also correctly calculated the kinetic energy before and after the collision.
Nono713
Gold Member
MHB
Hello, I need some help verifying whether what I did is correct.

Homework Statement

Attached is a screenshot of the problem.

Homework Equations

Angular momentum [itex]L = \vec{r} × m\vec{v} = mvr \sin{\theta}[/itex]
Conservation of angular momentum.

The Attempt at a Solution

This is my solution:

a) Before the collision, the block's angular momentum is zero (since it is at rest), and the angular momentum of the bullet is [itex]l mv \sin(\frac{\pi}{2}) = mvl[/itex], since the bullet's velocity vector and the block's direction vector to the pivot are perpendicular, so the total angular momentum of the system before the collision is [itex]mvl[/itex].

b) The bullet and block stick together, so from conservation of angular momentum the bullet + block system must have angular velocity [itex]mvl[/itex]. This means that:

[itex]m v l = (m + M) v_f l[/itex]

Where [itex]v[/itex] is the bullet's initial velocity and [itex]v_f[/itex] is the velocity after collision.

So [itex]v_f = \frac{m}{m + M} v[/itex]

And [itex]v_f = lw[/itex], so [itex]w = \frac{v_f}{l}[/itex] the angular momentum after the collision must then be:

[itex]w = \dfrac{\dfrac{m}{m + M} v}{l}[/itex]

c) Before the collision, the kinetic energy is purely linear, the kinetic energy is the block at rest is zero, and the kinetic energy of the bullet is [itex]\frac{1}{2} m v^2[/itex]. After the collision, the kinetic is purely rotational, with angular velocity [itex]w[/itex] (found above) and mass [itex]m + M[/itex].

Because the rod is massless, the system's center of mass is the block's center of mass. So after the collision, the system is rotating about the pivot, so the system's moment of inertia is:

[itex]I = (m + M) l^2[/itex]

So its rotational kinetic energy must be [itex]K = \frac{1}{2} I w^2[/itex]

Substituting the angular velocity and moment of inertia in, we get [itex]K = \frac{1}{2} (m + M) l^2 \left ( \dfrac{\dfrac{m}{m + M} v}{l} \right )^2[/itex]

Which simplifies to to [itex]K = \frac{1}{2} \frac{m^2}{m + M} v^2[/itex]

So before the collision, [itex]K = \frac{1}{2} m v^2[/itex], and after the collision, [itex]K = \frac{1}{2} \frac{m^2}{m + M} v^2[/itex]. Clearly the fraction [itex]\frac{m^2}{m + M}[/itex] will always be less than [itex]m[/itex] so kinetic energy is not conserved: the collision is inelastic.

----

So did I get this right? I generally suck at physics (although good at math) so I'm pretty sure I messed up at some point, but the results I get kind of seem to work, so I don't know :mad:

Attachments

• Capture.png
    Capture.png
    19.4 KB · Views: 452
Physics news on Phys.org
Your methods and results look fine.

Related to Substituting the angular velocity and moment of inertia

1. What is the relationship between angular velocity and moment of inertia?

The angular velocity of an object is directly proportional to its moment of inertia. This means that as the angular velocity increases, so does the moment of inertia.

2. Can the angular velocity and moment of inertia be substituted for each other?

Yes, the angular velocity and moment of inertia can be substituted for each other in certain equations. This is known as the parallel-axis theorem, which states that the moment of inertia about a given axis can be calculated by adding the moment of inertia about a parallel axis and the distance between them.

3. How does substituting angular velocity and moment of inertia affect rotational motion?

Substituting angular velocity and moment of inertia can affect rotational motion by changing the object's rotational speed and its resistance to rotational motion. This can impact the object's stability and ability to maintain its orientation.

4. What are some real-world examples where substituting angular velocity and moment of inertia is important?

Substituting angular velocity and moment of inertia is important in various real-world scenarios, such as designing vehicles and machinery that rotate, calculating the rotational energy of objects, and understanding the behavior of spinning objects like gyroscopes.

5. How can I calculate the moment of inertia if I know the angular velocity and vice versa?

The moment of inertia can be calculated using the formula I = mr², where m is the mass of the object and r is the distance from the axis of rotation. Additionally, if the moment of inertia and angular velocity are known, the rotational kinetic energy can be calculated using the formula KE = ½Iω², where ω is the angular velocity.