Subspace topology and Closed Sets

In summary, the problem is to prove that if C is a closed subset of A (with the subspace topology), then C can be written as the intersection of A with a closed subset K of X. To do this, we use the fact that A-C is open in A, and therefore can be written as the intersection of A with an open set E. From there, we define K as the complement of E, and show that C is equal to the intersection of A and K.
Shaggydog4242

Homework Statement

Hi,

This is my first post. I had a question regarding open/closed sets and subspace topology.

Let A be a subset of a topological space X and give A the subspace topology. Prove that if a set C is closed then C= A intersect K for some closed subset K of X.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that if C is closed then its compliment is open. I started by letting V be an open set in X and then (A/C) = A intersect V . From there I think it’s fair to assume X is an element of C which implies that x is an element of A intersect K.

I just can’t seem to prove that C = A intersect K from the information given.

I also can show that x is an element of A intersect K then X is an element of C but I don't know if that would help.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure I understand this question.

Is C supposed to be a subset of A?
If it is, then the statement is trivial - take K = C.
If not, then the statement makes no sense - take X = R, A = [-1, 1], C = [0, 2]. Clearly C is closed in X (its complement is open), but [itex]C \not\subseteq A[/itex] so the intersection of any K with A can never yield C.

Or am I missing something?

Thanks for replying!

In this case C would be in A. I'm not sure why I would be allowed to set K=C if K can be any closed subset in X while C has to be closed in A.

Shaggydog4242 said:

Homework Statement

Hi,

This is my first post. I had a question regarding open/closed sets and subspace topology.

Let A be a subset of a topological space X and give A the subspace topology. Prove that if a set C is closed then C= A intersect K for some closed subset K of X.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that if C is closed then its compliment is open. I started by letting V be an open set in X and then (A/C) = A intersect V . From there I think it’s fair to assume X is an element of C which implies that x is an element of A intersect K.

I just can’t seem to prove that C = A intersect K from the information given.

I also can show that x is an element of A intersect K then X is an element of C but I don't know if that would help.
You're supposed to show that if ##C\subset A## is closed with respect to the subspace topology, then there exists a closed ##K\subset X## (closed with respect to the topology of X) such that ##C=A\cap K##. So one thing that really stands out when I read your ideas about how to approach the problem is that you're not saying anything about how to define K. Another thing that looks really strange is the statement that X is an element of C. Maybe you meant to type x, but you haven't said what x is.

This looks like a good way to start: By assumption C is closed with respect to the subspace topology. This implies that A-C is open with respect to the subspace topology. By definition of "subspace topology", this implies that...

Thanks again for the help!

Yeah, i meant x [itex]\in[/itex]X. I know that if C is open in A then automatically C = A[itex]\bigcap[/itex]K for some closed set K of X but I don't see how I can go from assuming A-C is open in A to C being open in A.

I think I got it right after I posted that.

C is closed in A implies that A-C is open in X. Then by subspace topology A-C=A[itex]\bigcap[/itex]K compliment for some closed K in X. A[itex]\bigcap[/itex]K compliment implies C = A - (A-C) = A-K compliment = A[itex]\bigcap[/itex]K! unless I messed up somewhere...

Shaggydog4242 said:
C is closed in A implies that A-C is open in X.
Don't you mean open in A? (Open with respect to the topology of A).

Shaggydog4242 said:
Then by subspace topology A-C=A[itex]\bigcap[/itex]K compliment for some closed K in X. A[itex]\bigcap[/itex]K compliment implies C = A - (A-C) = A-K compliment = A[itex]\bigcap[/itex]K! unless I messed up somewhere...
Yes, this works. You may want to include some more details though, just to make your proof easier to follow. I would say that since A-C is open with respect to the topology of A, there's an open set E such that ##A-C=A\cap E##. Then I would define ##K=E^c##, and finally prove that ##C=A\cap K##.

Related to Subspace topology and Closed Sets

1. What is subspace topology?

Subspace topology is a type of topology that studies the properties of a subset of a topological space. It looks at how the open sets of the larger space behave when restricted to the smaller subset.

2. How is subspace topology related to closed sets?

In subspace topology, a subset is considered closed if it can be defined as the complement of an open set in the larger space. This means that closed sets in a subspace are related to open sets in the larger space.

3. Can a subspace have a different topology than the larger space?

Yes, a subspace can have a different topology than the larger space it is a subset of. This means that the open sets in the subspace may not necessarily be the same as the open sets in the larger space.

4. What is the importance of closed sets in subspace topology?

Closed sets play an important role in subspace topology because they help define the topology of the subspace. They can also be used to determine the closure and boundary of a subset in the larger space.

5. How are continuous functions defined in subspace topology?

In subspace topology, a function is considered continuous if the preimage of every open set in the subspace is open in the larger space. This means that the function must preserve the open sets of the larger space when restricted to the subspace.