SU(3) Generators & Physical Quantity Corresp.

• I
  • Thread starter fresh_42
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Su(3)
In summary: In the quark model, we consider the three lightest quarks, U, D, S (up, down, strange). They aren't actually an example of SU(3) symmetry, since the strange quark is so much more massive than the up or down quarks, but it's an approximate application of SU(3). You view the S, U, and D quarks as if they were three different states of the same particle, in the same way that a spin-up or spin-down electron are two different states of the electron. In the same way that for electron spin, you have "raising" and "lowering" operators that convert a spin-up electron into a spin-down electron, or vice
fresh_42
Mentor
Insights Author
2023 Award
If we consider the generators of SU(3) in the standard model. Is there a direct correspondence between them and a physical quantity, esp. if we only consider ##T_+=\frac{1}{2}(\lambda_1+i\lambda_2)\; , \;U_+=\frac{1}{2}(\lambda_6+i\lambda_7)\; , \;V_+=\frac{1}{2}(\lambda_4+i\lambda_5)##, do they directly represent a quantity? And what does ##V_+## stand for?

Physics news on Phys.org
The idea of the SU(3) operators can be illustrated by the quark model, where we consider the three lightest quarks, U, D, S (up, down, strange). They aren't actually an example of SU(3) symmetry, since the strange quark is so much more massive than the up or down quarks, but it's an approximate application of SU(3). You view the S, U, and D quarks as if they were three different states of the same particle, in the same way that a spin-up or spin-down electron are two different states of the electron. In the same way that for electron spin, you have "raising" and "lowering" operators that convert a spin-up electron into a spin-down electron, or vice-versa, in SU(3), there are similar raising and lowering operators for moving around the space of possible quark states. The operator ##I_+## converts a D quark into a U quark. The operator ##V_+## converges an S quark into a U quark. The operator ##U_+## converts an S quark into a D quark.

(I think what you're calling ##T## is sometimes called ##I## (isospin) when it comes to quark flavors.

su3.jpg

In the case of spin-1/2 particles, you can combine more than one spin-1/2 particle to get spins of all different magnitudes. In the case of SU(3), you can consider composite states of two or more quarks to get more complicated representations of SU(3).

Attachments

• su3.jpg
    su3.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 621
I thought the Isospin (3rd component) refers to an element in the CSA, i.e. an operator leaving something invariant, namely all which I listed. I therefore used the Gell-Mann matrices ##\lambda_k## for clarity. I left out the entire CSA (##\lambda_3 , \lambda_8##) and the negative counterparts here.

The problem I have with your explanation is, that ##T_+,U_+,V_+## doesn't define a SU(2) copy, since ##[T_+,U_+]=V_+## and ##V_+## can only be shifted to zero by the given operators. This means that ##V_+## is of a different quality as the other two, the highest weight of ad so to say, or the outer entry of the upper triangular matrices which I choose. Now how does this circumstance find itself in physics?

fresh_42 said:
The problem I have with your explanation is, that ##T_+,U_+,V_+## doesn't define a SU(2) copy, since ##[T_+,U_+]=V_+## and ##V_+## can only be shifted to zero by the given operators. This means that ##V_+## is of a different quality as the other two, the highest weight of ad so to say. Now how does this circumstance find itself in physics?

I'm not sure if I understand your point. The algebra of Isospin is the same as the algebra of SU(2). So if you stick to just ##I_+, I_-, I_3## (where ##I_{\pm} = \frac{1}{2} (\lambda_1 \pm i \lambda_2)## and ##I_3 = \frac{1}{2} \lambda_3##), then you have the same algebra as spin-1/2. Similarly, sticking to just ##U_{\pm}## or ##V_{\pm}## will give you something isomorphic to SU(2).

I don't know what you mean by ##V_+##can only be shifted to zero...

stevendaryl said:
I'm not sure if I understand your point. The algebra of Isospin is the same as the algebra of SU(2). So if you stick to just ##I_+, I_-, I_3## (where ##I_{\pm} = \frac{1}{2} (\lambda_1 \pm i \lambda_2)## and ##I_3 = \frac{1}{2} \lambda_3##), then you have the same algebra as spin-1/2. Similarly, sticking to just ##U_{\pm}## or ##V_{\pm}## will give you something isomorphic to SU(2).

I don't know what you mean by ##V_+##can only be shifted to zero...
I meant in your notation just ##I_+## alone, no ##I_-## and no ##I_3##, and the same with the other copies of SU(2). Those elements build an algebra on their own, even if we would add the CSA, the diagonal elements. So my question was basically: If I do not consider the entire group SU(3) but single generators instead, what does it mean physically? And especially what does - in your notation - ##\langle I_+,U_+,V_+ \rangle ## mean, where ##[I_+,U_+] = V_+ \text{ and } [I_+,V_+]=[U_+,V_+]=0##; just the ladder up operators alone

Regarding the lecture you quoted: You cannot raise strange, what does this mean?

Last edited:
fresh_42 said:
If we consider the generators of SU(3) in the standard model. Is there a direct correspondence between them and a physical quantity, esp. if we only consider ##T_+=\frac{1}{2}(\lambda_1+i\lambda_2)\; , \;U_+=\frac{1}{2}(\lambda_6+i\lambda_7)\; , \;V_+=\frac{1}{2}(\lambda_4+i\lambda_5)##, do they directly represent a quantity? And what does ##V_+## stand for?
The ladder operators do not correspond (directly) to physical quantities. See
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/su-3-multiplet.860348/#post-5399569

fresh_42 said:
I meant in your notation just ##I_+## alone, no ##I_-## and no ##I_3##, and the same with the other copies of SU(2). Those elements build an algebra on their own, even if we would add the CSA, the diagonal elements. So my question was basically: If I do not consider the entire group SU(3) but single generators instead, what does it mean physically? And especially what does - in your notation - ##\langle I_+,U_+,V_+ \rangle ## mean, where ##[I_+,U_+] = V_+ \text{ and } [I_+,V_+]=[U_+,V_+]=0##; just the ladder up operators alone

Regarding the lecture you quoted: You cannot raise strange, what does this mean?

I'm not sure exactly what you mean. We have the nonzero commutation relations:
  1. ##[I_+, U_+] = V_+##
  2. ##[I_-, V_+] = U_+##
  3. ##[V_-, I_+] = U_-##
  4. ##[V_+, U_-] = I_+##
  5. ##[U_-, I_-] = V_-##
  6. ##[U_+, V_-] = I_-##
[edit] There are three more:

1. ##[I_+, I_-]##
  2. ##[U_+, U_-]##
  3. ##[V_+, V_-]##
So you can go in any direction by a combination of the two other directions. There is no particular meaning to the distinction between "up" ladders and "down" ladders. The ladders take you in one of three possible directions, and there is no particular notion of "up" or "down".

stevendaryl said:
I'm not sure exactly what you mean. We have the nonzero commutation relations:
  1. ##[I_+, U_+] = V_+##
  2. ##[I_-, V_+] = U_+##
  3. ##[V_-, I_+] = U_-##
  4. ##[V_+, U_-] = I_+##
  5. ##[U_-, I_-] = V_-##
  6. ##[U_+, V_-] = I_-##
[edit] There are three more:

1. ##[I_+, I_-]##
  2. ##[U_+, U_-]##
  3. ##[V_+, V_-]##
So you can go in any direction by a combination of the two other directions. There is no particular meaning to the distinction between "up" ladders and "down" ladders. The ladders take you in one of three possible directions, and there is no particular notion of "up" or "down".
I tried to understand the role of ##V_+## from where you cannot go up anymore. Since this is the only element with this property, I wondered if it has some meaning; and more general the role of ##\operatorname{span}\{\,I_3,Y,I_+,U_+,V_+\,\}##. What does it mean, if we drop half of the group? So far, the answer seems simply to be: nothing. I thought because this is also a Lie group resp. algebra, I'd thought there is a meaning.

fresh_42 said:
I tried to understand the role of ##V_+## from where you cannot go up anymore. Since this is the only element with this property,

There is nothing special about ##V_+##. I think looking at the "+" and "-" is misleading. There are six directions you can travel in:
  1. From s to u.
  2. From u to s.
  3. From s to d.
  4. From d to s.
  5. From d to u.
  6. From u to d.
The fact that they call #1 ##V_+## and call #2 ##V_-## is completely arbitrary. They are just two operators that are the adjoints of each other.

Sure, but algebraically ##\mathfrak{su}(3)=\mathfrak{N}_{-} \oplus \langle Y,I_3 \rangle \oplus \mathfrak{N}_+## so I was looking whether this decomposition means anything. Of course you get a completely different situation by restriction to say ##\mathfrak{N}_+## or ##\langle Y,I_3 \rangle \oplus \mathfrak{N}_+##, as e.g. the Killing form isn't non-degenerated anymore. I was not expecting to find the entire situation within this smaller range, I just wanted to know, whether this decomposition has a physical meaning.

Related to SU(3) Generators & Physical Quantity Corresp.

1. What is SU(3) and how is it related to generators?

SU(3) is a mathematical group used in theoretical physics to describe the symmetries of certain physical systems. The generators of SU(3) are a set of mathematical objects that represent the transformations or operations that preserve this symmetry. Generators are important because they allow us to study the properties and behaviors of physical systems by analyzing the transformations that preserve their symmetries.

2. What are the physical quantities that correspond to SU(3) generators?

The physical quantities that correspond to SU(3) generators are known as quantum numbers. These include properties such as spin, charge, and color. For example, in the theory of quantum chromodynamics (QCD), the SU(3) generators correspond to the eight different types of quark color charge.

3. How does SU(3) relate to the strong nuclear force?

SU(3) is the mathematical foundation of the theory of QCD, which describes the strong nuclear force. The strong force is mediated by particles called gluons, which interact with quarks and carry the color charge. The symmetries of SU(3) dictate the interactions between these particles and play a crucial role in understanding the behavior of the strong force.

4. Can SU(3) be used to describe other physical systems?

Yes, SU(3) can be used to describe other physical systems besides the strong nuclear force. For example, it is also used in the theory of electroweak interactions, which describes the behavior of particles such as electrons, neutrinos, and photons. SU(3) has also been applied in other areas such as condensed matter physics and cosmology.

5. How is the concept of SU(3) generators used in particle physics experiments?

In particle physics experiments, SU(3) generators are used to predict and analyze the behavior of particles and their interactions. By understanding the symmetries and transformations of the underlying physical system, physicists can make predictions about the outcomes of experiments and compare them to the actual results. This helps to validate and refine our understanding of fundamental particle interactions.