Stumped by an Integral: Can it be Solved with Elementary Functions?

In summary, the given integral \int\frac{\arctan{x}dx}{x(x^2+1)} cannot be expressed with elementary functions. Various attempts, including substitution and integration by parts, have been made but all have led to a non-elementary answer. Using an online integrator also confirms that there is no solution in terms of elementary functions.
silver-rose

Homework Statement

[tex]\int\frac{\arctan{x}dx}{x(x^2+1)}[/tex]

I've been thinking over this for the past few days...I'm still stuck though
Can this integral even be expressed with elementary functions?

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

use the substitution [tex]u=tan{x}[/tex], and then, use integration by parts.
However I end up with [tex]\int\left|ln(cosx)\right|[/tex], as a term, which I cannot manage to integrate.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: Use u=arctan(x). What is du?

I think this integral does not have a "classical" primitive. After the substitution and partial integration you end up with:

[tex]I=\frac{1}{2}\frac{arctan^2(x)}{x^2}+\frac{1}{2}\int \frac{u^2}{sin^2(u)}du[/tex]

The remaining integral is not an elementary function, according to "the integrator" of mathematica.

@silver-rose: What is expected as a result? A classical function or an advanced one?

I agree. I can't find an elementary function despite a few pages of calculations and random substitutions. Maybe it's because I'm dumb or something. Anyone else had better luck here?

Tried it out at http://integrals.wolfram.com/

The answer was given in some weird notation involving something called a polylogarithm. What's that?

Last edited:
Sorry my bad, I thought the OP had got it wrong in substituting u=tan(x) instead of arctan(x), and didn't check further. Since the mathematica integrator doesn't report a solution in terms of elementary functions, it is highly unlikely that there actually exists one.

yea that's what i think so too..

I've spent days on this integral, basically trying tons and tons of substitutions.

ti-89 can't do it, and mathematica gives a non-elementary answer.

Thanks anyways guys.

Related to Stumped by an Integral: Can it be Solved with Elementary Functions?

1. Can all integrals be solved using elementary functions?

No, not all integrals can be solved using elementary functions. Some integrals are known as "unsolvable" or "non-elementary" and require advanced mathematical techniques to solve.

2. What are some examples of integrals that cannot be solved with elementary functions?

Examples of integrals that cannot be solved with elementary functions include the Gaussian integral, the logarithmic integral, and the Fresnel integral.

3. Are there any strategies for solving integrals that cannot be solved with elementary functions?

Yes, there are various strategies for solving non-elementary integrals, such as substitution, integration by parts, and using special functions such as the gamma function or the error function.

4. Can numerical methods be used to solve integrals that cannot be solved with elementary functions?

Yes, numerical methods such as the trapezoidal rule, Simpson's rule, or Monte Carlo integration can be used to approximate the value of integrals that cannot be solved with elementary functions.

5. Is there a way to determine if an integral can be solved with elementary functions?

Yes, there are some techniques for determining if an integral can be solved with elementary functions, such as the Risch algorithm or the Liouville's theorem. However, these methods may not always yield a definite answer.