Studying Relativity: Speed Limit of c in All Inertial Frames?

In summary, the postulates of special relativity state that all laws of physics are the same in all inertial frames and the speed of light is constant for all inertial frames. From these postulates, it can be deduced that an object traveling at the speed of light in one inertial frame will also travel at the speed of light in all inertial frames. This is due to the Lorentz transformation, which guarantees that the speed of light remains constant for all observers, regardless of their relative motion.
mmmboh
How I studied relativity, we postulated that a particle traveling at c in one inertial frame travels at c in all inertial frame. But now looking through a book, I see that they just postulate that all laws of physics are same in all inertial frames, and that there is a speed limit (c). However then I don't quite get the reasoning on why if an object travels at c in one inertial frame, it follows that it must travel at c in all inertial frames...Is there a contradiction I'm not seeing that if you measure a particle traveling at c, someone moving much faster than you doesn't necessarily have to? This wouldn't change the speed limit in their frame.
(I know this is wrong, I'm just trying to deduce it from how the book did it).

Physics news on Phys.org

In special relativity, velocities are not additive. If Observer A sees Observer B moving to the right at .9 c, and Observer B sees Observer C moving to the right at .9c, this does not mean that Observer A sees Observer C moving to the right at 1.8c. Rather, velocity obeys something known as the Lorentz Transformation, which in this case leads Observer A to see Observer C traveling at a mere .994c.

These Lorentz transformation rules guarantee that everyone sees light (or any other energetic massless particle) traveling at exactly c no matter how fast each Observer might be moving with respect to other Observers.

I know that, but those laws are derived based on the postulate that an object traveling at c in one reference frame travels at c in all reference frames. I want to know if you can get that based on the postulates:

1. All laws of physics are the same in all inertial frames.
2. There is a speed limit.

Someone else is probably better equipped to answer this than I, but from a naive first inspection the two rules you name don't seem sufficient to uniquely define a transformation law.

"Objects observed to be traveling at c in one reference frame will be observed to be traveling at c in all reference frames" is usually taken to be one of the postulates. After all, that was one of the first observations that touched off the whole subject.

mmmboh said:
I know that, but those laws are derived based on the postulate that an object traveling at c in one reference frame travels at c in all reference frames. I want to know if you can get that based on the postulates:

1. All laws of physics are the same in all inertial frames.
2. There is a speed limit.

Number 2 is not one of the postulates.

The second postulate is that the speed of light is constant for all inertial frames. The speed limit is a conclusion arrived at from the postulates.

Related to Studying Relativity: Speed Limit of c in All Inertial Frames?

1. What is relativity and why is it important to study?

Relativity is a theory developed by Albert Einstein that explains the relationship between space and time. It is important to study because it has revolutionized our understanding of the universe and has led to many technological advancements.

2. What is the speed limit of c in all inertial frames?

The speed limit of c, or the speed of light, is a fundamental constant in the universe and is the same in all inertial frames. This means that no matter how fast an observer is traveling, they will always measure the speed of light to be the same.

3. How does relativity affect our daily lives?

Relativity has a direct impact on our daily lives, as it is the basis for technologies such as GPS, which relies on the precise timing of signals from satellites. It also helps us understand the behavior of particles at high speeds, which is important in fields like particle physics.

4. Can anything travel faster than the speed of light?

According to the theory of relativity, nothing can travel faster than the speed of light in a vacuum. This is because as an object approaches the speed of light, its mass increases and it would take an infinite amount of energy to accelerate it past the speed of light.

5. How can we observe the effects of relativity in our daily lives?

One of the most well-known effects of relativity is time dilation, which has been observed in experiments with high-speed particles. GPS satellites also have to account for time dilation due to their high speeds. Additionally, the bending of light by massive objects, known as gravitational lensing, is a direct result of relativity and can be observed in astronomy.