Stuck on Physics Assignment: Finding Force Required to Move Block Up Wall

In summary, a student is asking for help with a physics assignment question involving a block pressed against a wall. The question asks for the force needed to move the block up the wall, given its weight, angle of applied force, and coefficient of static friction. The solution involves calculating the normal force and using this to find the maximum force of static friction. Another student confirms this approach and wishes the original student good luck.
Kumar9
Hi all, I'm in my first year of university physics (mechanics and waves) and am stuck on an assignment question. The question itself is not complicated, but I feel as though I'm skipping over something important. The question is:

A 3.8 kg block is pressed against a vertical wall by a force that is applied 35 degrees to the horizontal. The block is initially at rest and the coefficient of static friction is 0.54, so what force must be applied to begin moving the box up the wall?

From my understanding, the normal force would be equal to the x component of the force vector, which would allow the maximum force of static friction to be calculated. I don't quite know how to proceed from there...so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
The frictional force is given by the x component of the applied force multiplied by 0.54. The frictional force will resist any other applied force. The applied forces are the y component of the applied force (pointing up), and the y component of the gravitational force (pointing down).

That should get you started. Good luck.

Carl

Yes, that's what I needed to be confirmed. Thank you.

Related to Stuck on Physics Assignment: Finding Force Required to Move Block Up Wall

1. What is the formula for calculating force?

The formula for calculating force is F = m x a, where F is the force in Newtons, m is the mass in kilograms, and a is the acceleration in meters per second squared.

2. How do I determine the mass of the block?

You can determine the mass of the block by using a scale or by looking up the mass in a reference book or online.

3. How do I calculate the acceleration of the block?

The acceleration of the block can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. Alternatively, you can use the formula a = F/m, where a is the acceleration, F is the force, and m is the mass of the block.

4. Can I use any unit of measurement for force and mass?

Yes, you can use any unit of measurement for force and mass, as long as they are consistent. However, it is recommended to use the standard units of Newtons for force and kilograms for mass in order to ensure accurate calculations.

5. How can I make sure my answer is correct?

You can double-check your calculations by plugging your values into the original formula and making sure the result is correct. You can also consult with a peer or an instructor for validation.