Stuck on Integrating e^(x^3) x^2?

In summary, the problem is that if you integrate v du, you'll get another expression, which you need to integrate by parts again. But it doesn't go on forever.
misogynisticfeminist
Hi, I've actually got a problem here.

How do I evaluate

[tex]\int e^x^3 x^2 dx[/tex]

I have problem when doing integration by parts of finding [tex] \int v du [/tex] since if I integrate v du, i'll get another expression which i have to integrate by parts again, and this goes on and on !

(its meant to be e to the power x cubed by the way).

Physics news on Phys.org
misogynisticfeminist said:
Hi, I've actually got a problem here.

How do I evaluate

[tex]\int e^x^3 x^2 dx[/tex]

I have problem when doing integration by parts of finding [tex] \int v du [/tex] since if I integrate v du, i'll get another expression which i have to integrate by parts again, and this goes on and on !

(its meant to be e to the power x cubed by the way).

It probably reads:
[tex]\int e^{x^3} x^2 dx[/tex].
If so,this integral is trivial and it does not require anything,not even the lousy substitution [tex] x^3 =u [/tex].
So:
[tex]\int e^{x^3} x^2 dx =\frac{1}{3} e^{x^3} +C [/tex].
If it's not as i interpreted it,well,then 2 integrals by parts should simply do the trick.
Good luck!

Last edited:
Hello
It doesn't go on forever. You only do it twice.
The first time [tex]u = x^2[/tex] and [tex]dv = e^{3x} dx[/tex]

Then you get the following:
[tex] \frac{1}{3} x^2 e^{3x} - \int \frac{1}{3} e^{3x} 2x dx[/tex]

Now, you do integration by parts a second time
This time [tex]u = 2x[/tex] and [tex]dv = e^{3x} dx[/tex] (remember you can pull out that 1/3)

Then you get the following:
[tex] \frac{1}{3} x^{2} e^{3x} - \frac{2}{9} x e^{3x} + \int \frac{1}{3} e^{3x} 2 dx[/tex]

The last integral doesn't need integration by parts, it's just a simple integration. You should get the following:

[tex]\frac{1}{3} x^{2} e^{3x} - \frac{2}{9} x e^{3x} + \frac{2}{27}e^{3x}[/tex]

Sorry for not using LateX. I'll get the hang of it later though :)

Edit: Added LateX. That takes forever.

Last edited:

Related to Stuck on Integrating e^(x^3) x^2?

What is integration by parts?

Integration by parts is a method used in calculus to evaluate integrals of products of functions. It involves breaking down a complex integral into simpler parts and using the product rule to rearrange the terms.

When should I use integration by parts?

Integration by parts is most useful when the integral involves a product of two functions where one function becomes simpler when differentiated and the other becomes simpler when integrated.

How do I choose which function to differentiate and which one to integrate?

The choice of which function to differentiate and which one to integrate is made using the acronym "LIATE": logarithmic, inverse trigonometric, algebraic, trigonometric, exponential. The functions earlier in this list are generally easier to integrate, so they should be chosen as the function to integrate.

What is the formula for integration by parts?

The formula for integration by parts is ∫udv = uv - ∫vdu, where u and v are the two functions being multiplied together and du and dv are their respective differentials.

Are there any special cases when using integration by parts?

One special case is when the integral involves a polynomial and a trigonometric function. In this case, the polynomial function should be chosen as u and the trigonometric function as dv, as this will eventually lead to a simpler integral.