Stuck on Change of Phase question (heat)

In summary, you need to find two equations. The first is the energy required to raise x grams of water by 1 degree Celsius, and the second is the energy required to melt x grams of ice. You use the vaporization law to find the energy needed for each step.
toddler
stuck on Change of Phase problem

How much ice at 0 degrees Celsius must be mixed with 50.0 g of water at 75.0 degrees Celsius to give a final water water temp. of 20 degrees Celsius?

ive been trying to work this out for the past hour, but having trouble...any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
How much ice at 0 degrees Celsius must be mixed with 50.0 g of water at 75.0 degrees Celsius to give a final water water temp. of 20 degrees Celsius?

ive been trying to work this out for the past hour, but having trouble...any help would be appreciated.

Show us what you've tried, and we'll help you out from there.

You need to find two equations.

1. the energy required raise x grams of water by 1 degree
2. the energy required to melt x grams of ice

The energy in the system has to balance. Energy in from cooling the hot water must equal the energy out melting the ice and warming the resultant cold water.

Come back if you have the equations but are still stuck.

ok, well i know ice at 0 degrees C ---->water at 0 deg. C , so you use the vaporization law Q = mLv so 'm' is the variable in this case, since I am trying to find how much of the ice was needed, so the formula is :

Q = 'm'(2.26 x 10^6)

and then water at 0 deg. C ----> water at 75 deg. C

so i used Q = mC/\T

so plugging in the data, it turns into Q = .05kg(4,186)(20 deg. - 75 deg)

so i have : m(2.26x10^6) + .06(4,186)(20-75)

I don't even know if I'm applying the right principles to the problem, but that's what I THINK so far,...any corrections and continuation help would be appreciated

i know the specific heat of water is 4,186..so its 4,186 J/kg C to raise x grams of water by one degree

and the energy required to melt ice is the latent heat of fusion..which is Q = MLf

i just don't know how to appy this and use it.

toddler said:
ok, well i know ice at 0 degrees C ---->water at 0 deg. C , so you use the vaporization law Q = mLv so 'm' is the variable in this case, since I am trying to find how much of the ice was needed, so the formula is :

Q = 'm'(2.26 x 10^6)
Correct, so far. Don't forget the units.

and then water at 0 deg. C ----> water at 75 deg. C
Which water is this, the water from the ice, or the pre-existing water? Does the water from the ice warm up all the way to 75*C?
so i used Q = mC/\T

so plugging in the data, it turns into Q = .05kg(4,186)(20 deg. - 75 deg)
This is now different water that you are talking about here compared to above. This is the energy released by the existing warm water, as it cools to 20*C.

so i have : m(2.26x10^6) + .06(4,186)(20-75)
This part is not correct.

The logic you want to use is based on the principle of energy conservation for this system: since the total energy of the system is constant, the heat lost by the cooling water (which you calculated above) must be equal to the total heat gained by (i) the melting of ice and (ii) the subsequent warming of this water up to 20*C.

PS: Please do not doublepost. Also, from the next time on, use the Homework & Coursework subforums for questions like this.

Related to Stuck on Change of Phase question (heat)

1. What is a change of phase in regards to heat?

A change of phase in regards to heat is when a substance transitions between different states of matter, such as from solid to liquid or from liquid to gas. This usually occurs when the substance is heated or cooled.

2. How does heat affect a change of phase?

Heat is the energy that is needed for a change of phase to occur. When heat is added to a substance, the molecules become more active and have enough energy to break free from their current state and transition to a new phase.

3. What is the specific heat of a substance?

The specific heat of a substance is the amount of heat energy required to raise the temperature of one gram of that substance by one degree Celsius. It is a property that is unique to each substance and is measured in joules per gram per degree Celsius (J/g°C).

4. How does the specific heat of a substance affect its change of phase?

The specific heat of a substance plays a significant role in determining how much heat energy is needed for a change of phase to occur. Substances with a higher specific heat require more energy to change phases compared to substances with a lower specific heat.

5. Can a change of phase occur without a change in temperature?

Yes, a change of phase can occur without a change in temperature. This is known as a phase change or a latent heat transition. During this process, energy is absorbed or released by the substance, but the temperature remains constant until the phase change is complete.