Struggling with Integration: A Call for Assistance

In summary, the students are having problems with integrating certain equations and problems. The instructor suggests that they try different methods and substitution integrals until they find one that works.
dalterego
Integration Issues...a bit urgent

Hey having problems with five of my assignment questions, any help would be appreciated.

Homework Statement

(problems attached)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For the first one, I tried to solve it by using the sin-1 x as 'u' and integrating the u and getting u3 / 3 + c, but that doesn't seem to work. Then I thought I could use the Integration by parts formula, but since its (sin-1x)2, both u and v would be the same...

Second one: I thought of taking the y0.5 as the substitution 'u', but it doesn't seem to make much difference.

Third one: I thought I could separate it into ln( (1+t)0.5) + ln (t0.5) and solve them individually...

Fourth one: The improper fractions technique, but then I can't seem to get legit values for A, B and C

Last one: Direct Comparison Test, comparing it to the fraction: x2 / (x+3)3

Attachments

• intelrals.jpg
    intelrals.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 391
Physics news on Phys.org

Why would it matter if u and dv (not v) are the same? In fact, for 1, that would be probably the only way to do it.

I'll need to deal with this in parts. Here's what I suggest at the moment.

1) It may be six-of-one, half-a-dozen-of-the-other as to whether you should use u = (arcsin x) or u = (arcsin x)^2 .

If you do the former, you will have to integrate dv = (arcsin x) dx , which isn't too bad. It's tidier, though, to do the latter and have dv = dx.

It looks like either way you will have to integrate

[tex]\frac{x}{\sqrt{1 - x^2} } arcsin x dx [/tex]

which means a second integration by parts with u = arcsin x and dv for the rest, which is a substitution integral. I think it does settle down after that... (Nasty little problem.)

EDIT: Worked it out with u = (arcsin x)^2. The second integration-by-parts is easy.

2) Try v = sqrt(y). You'll then have an integration-by-parts to do; the v du integral looks like it will require a trig substitution, but then you're done.

4) Another multiple-technique problem. (I'm suspecting they all are: I think your instructor is out to get you...) Substitute u = e^x to create an integrand with a quadratic polynomial over the square root of a quadratic polynomial. Then try completing the square for the argument of the radical. It may be a trig-substitution integral from there...

5) I take it you're supposed to see if this improper integral diverges, or else evaluate it if it converges. You're correct in that you want to focus on the [tex]\frac{x^2}{(x+3)^3}[/tex] term. The (sin x)^2 factor is there, I suspect, to attempt to foil you in this, since it is bounded above by 1, so it is "usually" smaller than [tex]\frac{x^2}{(x+3)^3}[/tex]. You may have to make some sort of argument that, averaged over a period, sine-squared is non-zero, so this integral term acts like a constant times 1/x , and thus diverges. (One certainly has an intuition that this thing diverges...)

Still thinking about #3...

Last edited:

for 3, your best bet would probably be to use integration by parts with u=1 and dv=... . Doing so will "get rid" of the ln under the integral sign.

Ha, I remember doing the first four from my textbook.
1) Use parts, let u=arcsin[x]^2 dv=dx. Should be clear what to do next.
2) Use sub, let u=sqrt[x] so 2u du =dx, then use parts.
Never could solve the others, didn't really care either because they never come up in the real world.

For 3, the solution I could come up with involves 2 substitutions and quite a number of integration by parts. As foxjwill said, do it first by integration by parts, then make a substitution for t^(1/2), you'll end up with something you should recognise easily as integrable by a trigo substitution, but it gets tedious from this point, though it's doable.

EDIT: The online integrator's answer involves a hyperbolic sine, which strongly implies that you can shorten the number of steps needed by familiarising yourself with integrals and differentiation of hyperbolic trigo functions.

That is correct, for the third one [itex] t = \sinh^2 x[/itex] is good to use, it comes out in a few lines if you are familiar with hyperbolic trig functions.

Related to Struggling with Integration: A Call for Assistance

What is the definition of "Integration Issues a bit"?

"Integration Issues a bit" refers to the challenges and problems that arise when attempting to combine or merge different systems, processes, or components together. This can occur in various fields such as technology, business, or science.

Why do integration issues occur?

Integration issues can occur due to a variety of reasons, such as incompatible technologies, lack of communication between teams, or differences in processes and protocols. These issues can also arise when attempting to integrate old systems with newer ones, as they may not be designed to work together.

What are some common examples of integration issues?

Some common examples of integration issues include data loss or corruption during the integration process, delays or disruptions in communication between systems, and conflicts between different coding languages or software versions.

How can integration issues be resolved?

Resolving integration issues often requires a thorough understanding of the systems or components being integrated, as well as the ability to troubleshoot and identify potential conflicts. It may also involve implementing new protocols or technologies to facilitate smoother integration.

How can integration issues be prevented?

To prevent integration issues, it is important to plan and communicate effectively before attempting to integrate different systems or components. This may involve conducting thorough compatibility tests, establishing clear protocols and guidelines, and ensuring adequate training and support for those involved in the integration process.