Struggling with Homework: Seeking Guidance on Equations

In summary, a problem was presented with a lack of understanding of relevant equations and how to start. The question was then clarified to be related to the time it takes for an echo to return from a wall at a given distance, and the difference in times for different distances. The correct formula for finding time from distance and speed was provided. The solution to the problem was then found using this formula, and the concept of frequency in relation to distance was also discussed. The conversation ended with gratitude and appreciation for the help provided.
OmniNewton

Homework Statement

54a9cd5f702fff5fd1b3f88622813723.png

Homework Equations

Refer to 3.

The Attempt at a Solution

My problem is the theory I am unsure how any equations apply to this problem. This seems bad that I have no attempt at solution but I am honestly unsure how to start or of any relevant equations.

Physics news on Phys.org
OmniNewton said:

Homework Statement

54a9cd5f702fff5fd1b3f88622813723.png

Homework Equations

Refer to 3.

The Attempt at a Solution

My problem is the theory I am unsure how any equations apply to this problem. This seems bad that I have no attempt at solution but I am honestly unsure how to start or of any relevant equations.
Think instead of looking after equations. Imagine, you stand at distance d from a wall, and you clap once. The sound reflects from the wall. What time after the clap does the echo reach you?

ehild said:
Think instead of looking after equations. Imagine, you stand at distance d from a wall, and you clap once. The sound reflects from the wall. What time after the clap does the echo reach you?

v=dt
so t = v/2d

OmniNewton said:
v=dt
so t = v/2d
You mean the time is the shorter the longer is the distance ?
What is the correct answer?
And what is the time if the wall is at distance d+w?
What is the difference of times if one wall is at distance d and the other wall is w distance farther?

ehild said:
You mean the time is the shorter the longer is the distance ?
What is the correct answer?
And what is the time if the wall is at distance d+w?
What is the difference of times if one wall is at distance d and the other wall is w distance farther?

Sorry about the delay I've been really thinking this through. I'm just unsure what is being said by difference of times.

The first of your problem is how do you get the time you need to cover a distance d with speed v. You travel with speed 100 km/h, what time is needed to reach a town at 200 km distance?

ehild said:
The first of your problem is how do you get the time you need to cover a distance d with speed v. You travel with speed 100 km/h, what time is needed to reach a town at 200 km distance?
2 hours

What is the general formula used to get time from distance and speed?

ehild said:
ehild said:
d=vt
t = d/v

OmniNewton said:
d=vt
t = d/v
It is correct now. In what time does the echo of the clap return from a wall at distance d? And what is the time of return from a wall at distance d+w?

The time taken to return back(when the distance is d)
is equal to 2d/v where v is the velocity of sound
and when the distance is d+w
The time taken is 2(d+w)/v
Therefore
The difference in the times taken equals 2w/v

Likes OmniNewton
Alright after looking at Uchiha's work that is correct. difference in time represents the period.

So,

f = 1/T = v/2w = 343 m/s/2(0.75m) = 230 Hz

for b) since f is proportional to 1 /w the frequency will be higher

Precisely,OmniNewton
Just some thinking and calculations always suffice :)

Likes OmniNewton
Thank You So Much!

You're welcome!

Likes OmniNewton
Heh thanks mate for those likes!:)

Related to Struggling with Homework: Seeking Guidance on Equations

1. Why do I struggle with equations in my homework?

Struggling with equations is a common issue for many students. It could be due to a lack of understanding of the concepts, not having enough practice, or difficulty in applying the correct formula. It is important to identify the specific areas where you are struggling and seek guidance in those specific areas.

2. How can I seek guidance on equations for my homework?

There are several options for seeking guidance on equations for your homework. You can approach your teacher or professor for help, attend tutoring sessions, join study groups, or seek online resources such as video tutorials or forums. It is important to find the method that works best for you.

3. What are some tips for solving equations in homework?

Firstly, make sure you have a clear understanding of the concepts and formulas involved. Next, carefully read the problem and identify the given information and what is being asked. Then, choose the appropriate formula and plug in the given values. Lastly, double-check your solution and make sure it makes sense in the context of the problem.

4. How can I improve my equation-solving skills for homework?

The key to improving your equation-solving skills is practice. Make sure to attempt different types of equations and problems, and seek guidance when needed. It is also helpful to review your mistakes and understand where you went wrong. Additionally, try to relate the equations to real-world examples to better understand their applications.

5. What should I do if I am still struggling with equations in my homework?

If you are still struggling with equations in your homework, do not hesitate to ask for help. You can reach out to your teacher, tutor, or classmates for clarification and guidance. Additionally, you can also seek online resources or attend extra help sessions. Remember, it is important to keep practicing and seeking help when needed in order to improve.