Struggling with Calculating Rates of Change in Graphs?

In summary, the conversation discusses using a graph and a graphics calculator to find the average and instantaneous rates of change of a given function. The person asking for help is studying for an upcoming test and wants to be prepared for any type of question that may be asked. However, the expert cautions that relying too heavily on calculators may hinder overall understanding of math concepts.
xX-Cyanide-Xx
Hey everyone, I am trying to study some questions from the internet and i came across this one. i think this will help me heeps with my study but i just can't figure it out. can anyone els?

......The picture of the graph is in the attachment......

Using the graph above, find:

a) The average rate of change from x = 2 to x = 4
b) The instantaneous rate of change of this function at x = -3
c) The above function is given by y = (x=3)(x - 1)(x - 4). Using your graphics calculator:
I. What is the instantaneous rate of change at x = -2
II. Sketch your screen for how you got this solution.
III. Write down your View Window settings.

Attachments

• New Picture (1).png
    New Picture (1).png
    8.9 KB · Views: 401
Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
I can help you with the maths part of this problem, but not the calculator side of it. I can't see the attachment yet but it's not a problem.

The average rate of change is given by the slope of the line between the points [tex](2,f(2))[/tex] and [tex](4,f(4))[/tex].
The instantaneous rate of change is given by the tangent at the point [tex](3,f(3))[/tex].

So they're both determind by the gradient. Are they?

Yes that's right.

yay. so i just need to find out how to use the graphics calculator to do the rest. but how will i do that?

I don't see why you would even need to do those questions. You are studying on the net and if you're learning this for school, I doubt they will ever ask you to grab your graphics calculator and answer it in this way. So why even bother?

i guess its just so I am prepared, if i can learn the hard stuff, i should be able to do everything they throw at me. andwho knows wat they might give us.

This calculator business is hard stuff in its own way, not in the way a maths test works. If your school is anything like most other high schools out there, they won't be asking about how to use your graphics calculator.

Unless... you do that regularly in class?

Oh by the way, you need polishing up on those other skills before you should even be thinking of trying to learn about calculators. Calculators seriously aren't helping you at all, you need to become a little more independent with your maths.

But if you're still intent on doing those questions, maybe someone else can help you because I can't.

Well, we have been using the graphics calculators a lot in class, so the test does involve them.

but thanks for the help I've learned heeps...:)

Related to Struggling with Calculating Rates of Change in Graphs?

1. What is a graph problem?

A graph problem is a type of mathematical problem that involves representing data or relationships between objects using a graph. A graph is composed of vertices or nodes, which represent the objects, and edges, which represent the connections between the objects.

2. How do I know if a problem can be solved using a graph?

A problem can be solved using a graph if it involves representing data or relationships between objects. Some common examples of problems that can be solved using graphs include finding the shortest path between two points, determining the most efficient way to connect a network of computers, and analyzing social networks.

3. What are some common types of graphs used to solve problems?

Some common types of graphs used to solve problems include directed graphs, undirected graphs, weighted graphs, and tree graphs. Directed graphs have one-way connections between nodes, while undirected graphs have two-way connections. Weighted graphs assign a numerical value to each edge, and tree graphs are a type of directed graph with a hierarchical structure.

4. How can I improve my graph problem-solving skills?

To improve your graph problem-solving skills, practice solving a variety of problems and familiarize yourself with different types of graphs. It can also be helpful to study algorithms and data structures that are commonly used to solve graph problems, such as depth-first search, breadth-first search, and Dijkstra's algorithm.

5. What resources are available for help with graph problems?

There are many resources available for help with graph problems, including online tutorials, textbooks, and forums where you can ask for help from other scientists and mathematicians. Additionally, there are software tools and libraries specifically designed for solving graph problems, such as NetworkX and Graph-tool.