Strings and gravitational time dilation

In summary, string theorists say their equations can make the same predictions as general relativity, so it seems that gravitational time dilation is a real thing. If gravity is not mediated by curved spacetime, but carried by a particle, why would clocks slow down in strong gravitational fields? It's surprising that there hasn't been a response to this yet, but maybe string theorists haven't found a way to explain it yet.
εllipse
Is there an explanation for gravitational time dilation in string theory? String theorists say their equations can make the same predictions as general relativity, so I would assume string theory predicts gravitational time dilation, but how would that work? If gravity is no longer mediated by curved spacetime, but carried by a particle, why would clocks slow down in strong gravitational fields?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm surprised there hasn't been a response to this yet. Is there as of yet no solution to this? I would have thought string theorists would have delt with this by now (especially since the popularized texts I've read have had so much information about general relativity, I would assume gravitational time dilation would be hard to overlook), but maybe not. Possibly string theorists would argue that there wouldn't be any gravitational time dilation after all?

εllipse said:
Is there an explanation for gravitational time dilation in string theory? String theorists say their equations can make the same predictions as general relativity, so I would assume string theory predicts gravitational time dilation, but how would that work? If gravity is no longer mediated by curved spacetime, but carried by a particle, why would clocks slow down in strong gravitational fields?

If you mean by what mechanism does the string graviton affect the clocks, I think this is the best we can do: the graviton is supposed to couple to matter in accordance with Einstein's field equations, and since they call for time dilation in a gravity well, the absorption of a graviton must do that too, and the more gravitons absorbed (deeper in the well) the more dilation must occur, according to Einstein's formula.

If you think that is just a description without an explanation, welcome to particle physics.

selfAdjoint said:
If you think that is just a description without an explanation, welcome to particle physics.
Ah, hmph. Thanks.

Related to Strings and gravitational time dilation

1. What is the theory of strings in relation to gravitational time dilation?

The theory of strings is a proposed explanation for the fundamental building blocks of the universe. It suggests that the smallest units of matter are not point-like particles, but rather tiny, vibrating strings. These strings interact with each other and with gravity, leading to the phenomenon of gravitational time dilation.

2. How does gravitational time dilation work?

Gravitational time dilation is the effect of time passing at different rates in regions of different gravitational potential. This means that time moves slower in areas with a stronger gravitational pull, such as near massive objects like planets or black holes. This is due to the warping of spacetime caused by these objects, which affects the flow of time.

3. What is the relationship between strings and gravity in this theory?

In the theory of strings, gravity is not a separate force but rather a result of the interactions between strings. As these strings vibrate and interact with each other, they create distortions in spacetime, which we experience as gravity. This helps to explain how strings are related to gravitational time dilation.

4. Can gravitational time dilation be observed in real life?

Yes, gravitational time dilation has been observed and confirmed by experiments and observations. For example, atomic clocks on Earth have been found to run slightly slower than identical clocks in orbit, as predicted by the theory of general relativity. Additionally, the phenomenon has been observed in the form of gravitational lensing, where the path of light is bent by the warping of spacetime.

5. How does the theory of strings and gravitational time dilation relate to other theories of gravity?

The theory of strings provides a different approach to understanding gravity compared to other theories, such as Newton's theory of gravity or Einstein's theory of general relativity. It offers a more fundamental explanation for the nature of gravity, as it is seen as a result of the interactions between strings rather than a force between masses. However, the theory of strings is still being developed and is not yet fully integrated with other theories of gravity.