String theory and Lorentz invariance - 10D vs. 4D....

In summary, if Lorentz invariance is not satisfied in the compactified 6 dimensions, then a massive particle that acquires momentum in the curled up dimensions would not be observable.
asimov42
Hi all,

Clarification question: I've read that string theory is manifestly Lorentz invariant - however, I'm confused about this being true in 4D spacetime or in the full 10D setting of the theory (well, one version anyway). At some point I'd also read in a paper that 4D Lorentz invariance necessarily breaks Lorentz invariance in 10D ... however, I've misplaced the reference, unfortunately.

If Lorentz invariance in 10D is not satisfied, doesn't this have serious implications? (even if those dimensions are compactified) Or from a GR perspective, does one only care about the 4 extended spacetime dimensions?

Physics news on Phys.org
And a follow up: if we were somehow able to achieve the required energies to probe the curled up dimensions with a test particle (say a proton), what would one expect to observe, to actually verify the existence of the extra dimensions (I've been unable to find info on this).

Thanks.

Perhaps there's a better way I could ask the question? If in the compactified 6 dimensions, Lorentz invariance is not satisfied, what effects would this have? I'd appreciate any input.

Thanks @fresh_42. Going to back my second question:
asimov42 said:
And a follow up: if we were somehow able to achieve the required energies to probe the curled up dimensions with a test particle (say a proton), what would one expect to observe, to actually verify the existence of the extra dimensions (I've been unable to find info on this).

So we accelerate the proton to the point where it acquires sufficient momentum to 'move' in the curled up space - what do we observe (in our particle accelerator)? Simply a massive particle that stops moving in 3D? (because a momentum change to the 6 curled up dimensions would be unobservable) ... that is, what would one expect to happen to the proton at the exact point where it gained sufficient momentum?

Related to String theory and Lorentz invariance - 10D vs. 4D....

1. What is string theory?

String theory is a theoretical framework in physics that aims to reconcile general relativity and quantum mechanics. It proposes that at the most fundamental level, all particles are actually tiny vibrating strings rather than point-like particles. This theory suggests that the universe has more than the traditional four dimensions (three spatial dimensions and one time dimension).

2. What is Lorentz invariance?

Lorentz invariance is the principle that the laws of physics should be the same for all observers who are moving at a constant velocity. This principle is a fundamental part of Einstein's theory of special relativity and is essential for our understanding of space and time.

3. What is the difference between 10D and 4D in string theory?

In traditional string theory, there are 10 dimensions (9 spatial dimensions and 1 time dimension) whereas in our observable universe, there are only 4 dimensions (3 spatial dimensions and 1 time dimension). The extra dimensions in string theory are believed to be compactified (or curled up) at a very small scale, making them undetectable on a macroscopic level.

4. How does string theory incorporate Lorentz invariance?

String theory is inherently Lorentz invariant, as the vibrations of strings are described by equations that are invariant under Lorentz transformations (changes in velocity and direction). This means that the theory is consistent with the principle of relativity and the laws of physics remain the same for all observers.

5. Is there any experimental evidence for string theory and Lorentz invariance?

Currently, there is no direct experimental evidence for string theory and Lorentz invariance. However, there are ongoing experiments and observations in particle physics and cosmology that may provide evidence for these theories in the future. Until then, string theory and Lorentz invariance remain theoretical concepts that have not yet been fully tested.