Stress components on cantilever beam loaded off symmetry

In summary, the conversation discusses the stress components of an element taken from the wall end of a cantilever beam that is loaded according to a diagram. The solution involves finding the bending stress using each component of the load and considering the shear and bending moment diagrams separately. It is concluded that unless the beam is under pure bending, there will be no shear stress.
habibi69

Homework Statement

An element is taken from the wall end of the cantilever beam that is loaded as per the diagram. What are the stress components of the element, taken at x=0, y=h/2, z=0

oW1iF65.jpg

Homework Equations

σ=My/I

The Attempt at a Solution

So from the shear moment diagram, the moment and shear at the wall end are found but then I'm not too sure what to do about the transverse load at an angle. I broke the load down into it's components but I'm not sure what to do about it.

Physics news on Phys.org
You will just need to find the bending stress using each of the components of P. So you will need to get Ixx and Iyy for the beam and find Mxx and Myy for each of the components of P.

So

σx= (Mxxy)/Ixx

(xx denotes about the x-axis and yy about the y-axis)

So is there no stress on the z face, [itex]σ_{z}[/itex] ?

habibi69 said:
So is there no stress on the z face, [itex]σ_{z}[/itex] ?

Think about what happens when you resolve P into its components.

So then there would also be a shear stress caused by the load right? I'm getting confused now

Unless we assume that the beam is under pure bending, then there would be no shear

Last edited:
It might be better if you look at the beam loaded by each of the components of P individually. Draw the shear and bending moment diagrams without worrying too much about how everything acts simultaneously.

Related to Stress components on cantilever beam loaded off symmetry

1. What is a cantilever beam?

A cantilever beam is a structural element that is supported at only one end, while the other end is free to move. It is commonly used in engineering and construction for its ability to withstand heavy loads and provide structural support.

2. How is a cantilever beam loaded off symmetry?

A cantilever beam is loaded off symmetry when the load is applied at a distance from the fixed end of the beam, causing an imbalance in the distribution of stress and strain along the beam's length. This can occur due to a variety of factors, such as uneven weight distribution or external forces.

3. What are stress components on a cantilever beam?

Stress components refer to the internal forces that act on a cantilever beam when it is loaded off symmetry. These include bending stress, shear stress, and axial stress, which all play a role in determining the overall strength and stability of the beam.

4. How are stress components calculated on a cantilever beam?

The stress components on a cantilever beam are calculated using principles of mechanics and structural analysis. This typically involves determining the external forces acting on the beam, analyzing its geometry and material properties, and using equations such as the Euler-Bernoulli beam theory to calculate the resulting stress components.

5. What factors can affect the stress components on a cantilever beam?

The stress components on a cantilever beam can be affected by a variety of factors, including the magnitude and distribution of the applied load, the beam's material properties, its geometry and dimensions, and any external factors such as temperature or wind. These factors must be carefully considered in order to design a safe and stable cantilever beam structure.