Strength (mostly axial)of square steel tubing

In summary: Approximate bar, the hooks and the pins labelled safety. The "load" is the weight of the object being racked, in this case an Olympic barbell. The design goal is to distribute this load as evenly as possible across the structure in order to prevent failure.In summary, the 3"x3" tubing version of the power rack is more than 3x stronger in bending than the 2"x2" tubing version, but the increased cross-section will also be more proportionally stronger in tension/compression. Bolting the pieces together is not as dangerous as welding them, but it is still a good idea to use an appropriate safety factor. The off-the-shelf power racks can accommodate a weight
slashragnarok
I am designing a Power Rack like this. Would I benefit anyhow using 3"x3" tubing instead of 2"x2" tubing? The most weight that thing is going to be subjected to is around 800 lbs (400 kg approx). Also will bolting the pieces be dangerous or should I just weld them? Finally I also want to omit the slightly elevated cross member on the sides. Will that be OK?

Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Generally I would say use the same size the off-the-shelf ones use. The new 3" will be proportionally stronger in tension/compression due to the increased cross-section, but more importantly it will be more than 3x stronger in bending due to the increase in size.

Last edited:
Thanks. The off the shelf ones use both 2x2 and 3x3. The question is how much do I need. The thickness of the tubing is around 3 mm (11 gauge steel). There are also racks with 7 gauge steel (4.5mm). 7 gauge is overkill. Since there is very little dynamic loading involved I don't want to keep more than 1.2-1.5 factor of safety. So finally the question boils down to whether 2x2 11 gauge steel tubing racks can be rated for 800 lbs or not.

It will depend on your geometry, calculating a safety factor requires that you can calculate stress in the part and how its supporting the load. Are you able to duplicate an existing design?

slashragnarok said:
Since there is very little dynamic loading involved I don't want to keep more than 1.2-1.5 factor of safety.

I don't know anything specifically about weight training equipment, but that sounds a risky way to go. Calculating the loads assuming all the joints are perfectly rigid etc is straightforward, but the joints and adjustable parts are most likely where the failures will start from.

Don't forget to consider what the dynamic loads would be if something goes horribly wrong - e.g. half of the 800 pound weight falls off because somebody forgot to fix it properly, or whatever.

IMO safety factors of 5 or 10 would probably be more sensible than 1.2 or 1.5.

As mech-engineer said, copying an existing design is a good starting point.

AlephZero said:
I don't know anything specifically about weight training equipment, but that sounds a risky way to go. Calculating the loads assuming all the joints are perfectly rigid etc is straightforward, but the joints and adjustable parts are most likely where the failures will start from.

Don't forget to consider what the dynamic loads would be if something goes horribly wrong - e.g. half of the 800 pound weight falls off because somebody forgot to fix it properly, or whatever.

IMO safety factors of 5 or 10 would probably be more sensible than 1.2 or 1.5.

As mech-engineer said, copying an existing design is a good starting point.

Sorry I didn't mention it but when I wrote 800 lbs I already factored in some safety. There's no way I'll ever lift more than 500 lbs.

@mech-engineer - I am trying to build off an existing design. The link I posted (Pic).

This sounds like a safety-significant application, what's your motivation for designing and building this yourself instead of just purchasing one?

Mech_Engineer said:
This sounds like a safety-significant application, what's your motivation for designing and building this yourself instead of just purchasing one?

Firstly I'm in India and all the good manufacturers are in the US. Second, the parts I need are cheap here and labour is cheaper still. We have good workmen here and it is easy to copy designs. If you look at the pic I posted, it's ridiculously simple to replicate it. But, I am confused by the sheer magnitude of designs available. They also vary in terms of safety and complexity. We have bolted ones and welded ones. Ones with 2x2 steel and 3x3 steel. 11 gauge thickness vs 7 gauge. I don't want to deliberately overdesign the thing. This isn't an airplane. So I want your valuable opinions on how to get a safe yet optimally designed structure.

Now let me explain a bit about how the thing works. Please refer to the attached photo and if possible, please pardon my abysmal attempt at labelling the picture.

The thick black line labelled Approximate bar is the actual weight which would be resting on the Hooks for racking. The hooks have cylindrical projections at the back which are slightly smaller than the holes through which they are secured. An athlete would stand inside the structure and position the hooks as per her convenience. The hooks give the barbell a starting position from which the bar may be loaded onto one's back or other suitable positions. After she is done, the weights are put back on the hooks. The pins labelled safety are for emergency situations wherein a lifter having failed to lift the weight could rest the weight on the pins and escape unharmed.

So the points of load are the two hooks secured into the holes and in some cases the two safeties. Another possible loading point would be the member labelled chin up bar from which a person would hang and pull herself up. Here are some more pics to show how the thing works (note these are different designs).

Power rack

http://www.menshealth.co.uk/cm/menshealthuk/images/9W/power-rack-build-muscle-05082011-medium_new.jpg

And here's an alternate and more secure version of the hooks for resting the weights on

J hook

You can clearly see how the hooks are secure.

Hope this clarifies my situation. Thanks.

Attachments

• minmaxs.jpg
    minmaxs.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 1,186
I don't think there's any other feedback I can give you, your best bet is to err on the side of caution. Good luck.

I would use the 3x3 without doubt, especially as you said parts are cheap there. I´d like to know how you intend to make the j-hooks? (Im a weightlifter too, so I know the equipment you are speaking of). You couldn't go far wrong duplicating the ROGUE equipment (infinity or monster lite ranges), it is the best in the market (IMO) - They do make a 2x2" design (Echo), but the 2"x3" is the minimum professional rack which they rate to 1000LBS. More is better in the case of Lbs rating :-)

Jhooks are another matter, nightmare trying to make those, I've tried…

Last edited:
PS. Also bear in mind the pin sizes you are going to be using! The box section size isn't as important really (as long as using a minimal 2" 11 gauge) as the pin sizes you are using - You will want 1" tube for safeties in reality, and you would then be better off with larger than 2" for the box IMO. 3" 11 gauge is what I would go with in your situation. Also if ou are going to buy the Jcups (recommended) then you will want box to fit the majority of Jcups, ROGUE do a 2x3 and a 3x3 jcup, the 2x2 jcup is not good as it does have protective plastic inserts. Off the shelf Jcups will of course cost more than the cost of all your material though, so I guess you will be making them somehow?

Related to Strength (mostly axial)of square steel tubing

1. What is the strength of square steel tubing?

The strength of square steel tubing varies depending on the dimensions and material composition of the tubing. It is typically measured in terms of its yield strength, ultimate strength, and stiffness.

2. How is the strength of square steel tubing calculated?

The strength of square steel tubing can be calculated using various equations and formulas, such as the Euler formula or the Timoshenko formula. These take into account factors such as the cross-sectional area, moment of inertia, and modulus of elasticity of the tubing.

3. What factors affect the strength of square steel tubing?

The strength of square steel tubing can be affected by several factors, such as the dimensions and thickness of the tubing, the type of steel used, and the manufacturing process. Other external factors, such as temperature and loading conditions, can also impact the strength of the tubing.

4. How does the strength of square steel tubing compare to other shapes?

Square steel tubing is generally stronger than other shapes, such as round or rectangular tubing, due to its uniform shape and equal sides. However, the specific strength and stiffness can vary depending on the dimensions and material composition of the tubing.

5. What are the common applications of square steel tubing?

Square steel tubing is commonly used in construction, automotive, and industrial applications due to its strength and versatility. It can be used for structural support, as well as for creating frames, racks, and other components. It is also popular for decorative and aesthetic purposes.