Straight lines as shortest connections

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus and the product rule to simplify an integral involving a constant vector. It also highlights the importance of being careful when interchanging limit operations and changing the integral from a scalar integral to a vector integral. The conversation concludes with a clarification on the use of the dot product and the fact that the maximum value it can have is equal to the magnitude of the vector being dotted with.
t_n_p

Homework Statement

http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/1066/65157866.png

The Attempt at a Solution

Since v is a constant vector, I took it out the front of the integral and used the ftc so the integral of the derivative collapses to γ(t) with terminals a to b. Evaluating leads to γ(b) - γ(a), which simplies to v[Q-P] (using the info provided), notice how this is different to the left hand side of the in/equality (PQ)v.

Confused!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
hi tnp

that looks alright to me, and though it works, you need to be a bit careful about interchanging limit operations and changing the integral from a scalar integral to a vector integral

Though it amounts to the same thing, i think a safer way would be to evaluate the derivative of the scalar [tex] \gamma . v [/tex] this gives

[tex] \frac{d}{dt} (\gamma . v) = \frac{d \gamma}{dt}.v + \gamma.\frac{dv}{dt} = \frac{d \gamma}{dt}.v +0 [/tex]

then use that in your integral expression with an FTC

I would also read PQ = Q - P so you're on the right track (i would think of the arrow from P to Q)

aopolgies if the latex is messy, still doesn't display right on my computer

thanks for the reply, the product rule makes a lot more sense that what I was doing.

I got down to this...

∫ (dγ(t)/dt · v) dt with limits a to b.

Can I take v out the front as a constant, then use FTC?
That's what I reckon!
then I end up with...
= v [Q-P]

You also said:
"I would also read PQ = Q - P"

How? I'm quite confused by this part

t_n_p said:
\You also said:
"I would also read PQ = Q - P"

How? I'm quite confused by this part
Thinking of PQ as a product doesn't make sense in this context because P and Q are points in three space. Think of PQ as the displacement vector from point P to point Q. If you describe P and Q themselves in terms of displacement vectors P and Q from the origin, then PQ is Q-P.

Ah, you mean like [tex]\vec{PQ}[/tex]?

Makes sense now!

so that's the LHS done, now to show the RHS inequality...

If I take absolute value of everything, then I end up with..

∫ |dγ(t)/dt| · |v| dt with limits a -> b

But I'm given that |v|=1 in the question, which breaks down to:

∫ |dγ(t)/dt| dt with limits a -> b
= |γ(b)-γ(a)|
= |Q-P|

and since there is no vector v out the front, it is smaller?

Ideas?

Last edited:
PQ = Q-P is a vector so be careful, negative as a description doesn't really apply to it

(Q-P).v is a scalar so can be negative

Also ∫ |dγ(t)/dt| dt with limits a -> b does not equal |γ(b)-γ(a)|

All you need to do to finish the inequality is to concentrate on the middle & right hand side. Note that in comparing 2 integrals with same integraion limts, if you can show one integrand is always less than the other, then the value of integral itself must also be less than the other.

ah, so this is what I have..

Since |dγ(t)/dt| <= dγ(t)/dt ALWAYS,

then ∫ |dγ(t)/dt| dt with limits a -> b <= ∫ dγ(t)/dt dt with limits a -> b

seems simple enough, thanks for the help guys

t_n_p said:
ah, so this is what I have..

Since |dγ(t)/dt| <= dγ(t)/dt ALWAYS,

then ∫ |dγ(t)/dt| dt with limits a -> b <= ∫ dγ(t)/dt dt with limits a -> b

seems simple enough, thanks for the help guys

not quite,

First you can only compare scalars with <=, so you need to keep the dot product in your equality, at least on one side (dγ(t)/dt is a vector)

Also check the direction of you equalities above. If x is any scalar, then by definition x<=|x|

ok, so to double check..

∫ |dγ(t)/dt · v| dt with limits a -> b
=∫ |dγ(t)/dt| · |v| dt with limits a -> b

Now since |dγ(t)/dt| · |v| = |dγ(t)/dt| is always <= dγ(t)/dt · v,

then it holds that ∫ dγ(t)/dt · v dt <= ∫ |dγ(t)/dt| dt for a-> b

-----------------------------
But I have a question..
At this line here: Now since |dγ(t)/dt| · |v| = |dγ(t)/dt| is always <= dγ(t)/dt · v

What if dγ(t)/dt is positive, then by dotting it with some constant vector v (say it is also positive), isn't it possible that dγ(t)/dt · v will be greater than |dγ(t)/dt| by a factor of v? I hope that makes sense

t_n_p said:
ok, so to double check..

∫ |dγ(t)/dt · v| dt with limits a -> b
=∫ |dγ(t)/dt| · |v| dt with limits a -> b
this is not true, considering only the integrands, the equality should be
|dγ(t)/dt · v| <= |dγ(t)/dt||v|

to help see this, consider the case when dγ(t)/dt and v, are perpindicular and both non zero, what is the dot product?
t_n_p said:
Now since |dγ(t)/dt| · |v| = |dγ(t)/dt| is always <= dγ(t)/dt · v,
the equals sign is correct, based on the fact that |v| = 1

but as above the <= isn't true here, it should reversed. Consider a case where the dot product returns a negative value
t_n_p said:
then it holds that ∫ dγ(t)/dt · v dt <= ∫ |dγ(t)/dt| dt for a-> b
ok
t_n_p said:
-----------------------------
But I have a question..
At this line here: Now since |dγ(t)/dt| · |v| = |dγ(t)/dt| is always <= dγ(t)/dt · v

What if dγ(t)/dt is positive, then by dotting it with some constant vector v (say it is also positive), isn't it possible that dγ(t)/dt · v will be greater than |dγ(t)/dt| by a factor of v? I hope that makes sense

rememeber that |v| = 1 is defined in the question, the maximum value dγ(t)/dt · v can have is |dγ(t)/dt|.

This will occur only in the case dγ(t)/dt and v are parallel pointing the same direction

the dot product when they are perp will be zero, just a silly lapse by me. and the inequality was another silly mistake, since in the question the absolute value was on the right, then I moved it to the left of the inequality without reversing the sign.

everything makes sense now.

There is a second part that reads:

set v = PQ/|PQ| and hence show |γ(b)-γ(a)| <= ∫ |dγ(t)/dt| dt for a-> b (i.e the curve of shortest length from P to Q is a straight line)

If I do similar to what I did before, up to:

v[γ(b)-γ(a)] <= ∫ |dγ(t)/dt| dt for a-> b, what should I do next?

I'm stumped, because in the question they want to show|γ(b)-γ(a)| on the LHS!

Last edited:
Say now I change v to PQ/|PQ|,

which essentially leads me to:

(PQ)²/|PQ| <= ∫ |dγ(t)/dt| dt for a-> b

confused! :confused:

Related to Straight lines as shortest connections

What does "straight lines as shortest connections" mean?

"Straight lines as shortest connections" refers to the concept in geometry that the shortest distance between two points is a straight line. This is known as the "straight line distance" or "Euclidean distance."

Why are straight lines considered the shortest connections?

Straight lines are considered the shortest connections because they have the smallest possible length between two points. This can be proven using the Pythagorean theorem, which states that the length of the hypotenuse (or the straight line between two points) is always shorter than the sum of the other two sides of a right triangle.

Are there any exceptions to straight lines being the shortest connections?

In Euclidean geometry, which is the most commonly used type of geometry, straight lines are always the shortest connections between two points. However, in non-Euclidean geometries, such as spherical or hyperbolic geometry, this may not always be the case.

How is the concept of "straight lines as shortest connections" used in real life?

The concept of "straight lines as shortest connections" is used in many practical applications, such as navigation and transportation. For example, when driving from one location to another, we typically take the shortest route, which is often a straight line. In addition, engineers and architects use this concept when designing structures and roadways to optimize efficiency and minimize distance.

Can curved lines be considered the shortest connections between two points?

In Euclidean geometry, curved lines are not considered the shortest connections between two points. However, in non-Euclidean geometries, curved lines may be the shortest distance between two points, depending on the curvature of the space. For example, on a sphere, the shortest distance between two points is a curved line, known as a great circle.