Storm Shelter Time: Preparing for Early Morning

In summary: Stay safe everyone.In summary, Don is worried about a tornado in Kansas. He's heard of one in Santa Fe, and thinks that the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway may have ended operations on its branch line to Lamy, NM. He's also heard that Topeka is the only community still served by the railroad. He's relieved to hear that @dlgoff made it through OK.
dlgoff
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I may be going to my storm shelter sometime in the early morning:

storm.jpg

• Sad
  • Wow
Likes DennisN, pinball1970, DrClaude and 2 others
Physics news on Phys.org
Stormy indeed around here, though isn't about weather.
Peace and love.

Likes hutchphd and dlgoff
Whoever heard of a tornado in Kansas, of all places!

• Haha
Likes DennisN and hutchphd
Yikes, stay safe Don!

"I don't think we're in Kansas any more, Toto..."

Likes Vanadium 50
"She's been that way ever since a house fell on her sister."

Likes russ_watters and Bystander
dlgoff said:
I may be going to my storm shelter sometime in the early morning:

View attachment 301576
When I see Atchison and Topeka, I can't help but thinking of Santa Fe.

Likes Astronuc
jbriggs444 said:
When I see Atchison and Topeka, I can't help but thinking of Santa Fe.
Do you actually start humming the tune, though?

Likes jbriggs444
Do you hear that whistle down the line?
I figure that it's engine number forty nine
She's the only one that sounds that way
On the Atchison, Topeka And The Santa Fe

Trivia - it doesn't actually go all the way to Santa Fe. There might be a spur.

Vanadium 50 said:
Correct. It was a branch or spur line, which came off the Raton line at Lamy, NM.

The Santa Fe Southern began operations in 1992, after the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway ended operations on its Lamy to Santa Fe branch line and a group of local businesspeople purchased the track to continue freight service in the area. Passenger service was added later on.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Fe_Southern_Railway

The Santa Fe originally planned to run from Atchison, Kansas., to Santa Fe, N.M., and then west to California. As the track-building advanced into New Mexico, the civil engineers realized that the terrain around Santa Fe made this an impossible undertaking. The line was built through Lamy instead, and a spur line was built northward to Santa Fe. Amtrak passengers headed to the state capital still alight at Lamy, where a shuttle transports them the remaining 18 miles.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lamy_station

During the early 20th century the AT&SF completed the Belen Cutoff to the south which bypassed the mountains and cut across the northern plains of Texas.
https://www.american-rails.com/raton.html

Tornado alley extends from SW Texas all the way to SE ND, MN and WI, but it seems to have expanded to the entire Mississippi River Valley. Any home there should expect severe thunderstorms, a derecho, or tornado.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tornado_Alley
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tornado_Alley#/media/File:Tornado_Alley.svg

Vanadium 50 said:
Additionally: Topeka is was the only community actually serviced before the BNSF merger.

Looks like @dlgoff made it through OK. You're out of the woods, you're out of the dark, you're out of the night. Step into the sun; step into the light.

Related to Storm Shelter Time: Preparing for Early Morning

What is "Storm Shelter Time: Preparing for Early Morning"?

"Storm Shelter Time: Preparing for Early Morning" is a guide for individuals and families on how to prepare for severe weather events that may occur in the early morning hours. It includes tips on creating an emergency plan, stocking a storm shelter, and staying safe during a storm.

Why is it important to prepare for early morning storms?

Early morning storms can catch people off guard and may occur while they are still sleeping. It is important to prepare for these storms to ensure the safety of yourself and your family. Having a plan in place can also help reduce panic and confusion during a severe weather event.

What should I include in my emergency plan?

Your emergency plan should include a designated safe area in your home, an evacuation plan, a communication plan, and a list of emergency contacts. It is also important to regularly practice your plan with all members of your household.

What should I stock in my storm shelter?

Your storm shelter should be stocked with essential items such as non-perishable food, water, a first aid kit, flashlights, and a battery-powered radio. It is also a good idea to include items like blankets, a whistle, and a basic toolkit.

What should I do during a severe storm in the early morning?

If a severe storm occurs in the early morning, it is important to stay calm and follow your emergency plan. Seek shelter in your designated safe area and stay away from windows and exterior walls. Stay tuned to local weather updates and be prepared to evacuate if necessary.