Storage time of a transistor changes

In summary, the speaker is asking for an explanation as to why the storage time of a transistor changes when the position of one resistor is changed. They observed that the storage time increased when the resistor was connected to the ground and are looking for multiple explanations for this. They also clarify that by "storage time," they mean the time it takes for the minority carrier concentration to be reduced to zero near the pn junction.
Monsu
:rolleyes: hi,
could anyone pls tell me why the storage time of a transistor changes as u change the position of one resistor?
During an experiment, when the resistor connected to the base voltage was reconnected to the ground i noticed that the storage time increased. pls someone explain to me why.
thanks!

(i'd appreciate multiple answers, so pls if smne has answered, pls feel free to drop your own answers too.)

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what you mean by "storage time," as this is not a parameter I've ever heard of. Can you please try describing your question in more standard terminology?

- Warren

the storage time is the time needed for minority carrier concentration in the vincinity of pn junction to be reduced to zero

Related to Storage time of a transistor changes

1. What causes the storage time of a transistor to change?

The storage time of a transistor can change due to a variety of factors, including changes in temperature, operating voltage, and aging of the device. Additionally, the type of material used in the transistor can also affect its storage time.

2. How does the storage time of a transistor affect its performance?

The storage time of a transistor is an important parameter that affects its switching speed and overall performance. A longer storage time can result in slower switching speeds and can limit the maximum frequency at which the transistor can operate.

3. Can the storage time of a transistor be controlled?

Yes, the storage time of a transistor can be controlled by adjusting the operating voltage and temperature. Additionally, using different materials for the transistor can also affect its storage time. However, the storage time is a fundamental characteristic of the transistor and cannot be completely eliminated.

4. How can the storage time of a transistor be measured?

The storage time of a transistor can be measured using various techniques such as pulse testing, charge storage measurements, and transient analysis. These methods involve applying specific input signals to the transistor and analyzing the resulting output to determine the storage time.

5. What are the effects of a shorter storage time on a transistor?

A shorter storage time can result in faster switching speeds and improved performance in high-frequency applications. However, it can also make the transistor more susceptible to noise and instability, which can affect its reliability and lifespan.