Storage of capacitors in series

So C1 and C2 are the same. In summary, when two identical capacitors that have been discharged are connected in series across a 100V battery, the total energy stored is U/2.
LeakyFrog

Homework Statement

Two identical capacitors that have been discharged are connected in series across the terminals of a 100V battery. When only on of the capacitors is connected across the terminals of the battery, the energy stored is U. what is the total energy stored in the two capacitors when the series combination is connected to the battery? a) 4U, B)2U, C)U D)U/2 E)U/4

Homework Equations

U = 1/2 CV2
1/Ceq = 1/C1+1/C2

The Attempt at a Solution

The only attempt I can think to make is to get U with one capacitor in terms of C1 and then get U2 in terms of C1 and C2 and then find the ratio of them. When I do this though I keep getting U/U2 = C2/(C1+C2) Which is not any of the answers. So I'm not really sure where to go from here.

Physics news on Phys.org

U/U2 = C2/(C1+C2)
In the problem, it is given that C1 = C2.
Ceq = C/2
U1 = 1/2CV^2
U2 1/2*C/2*V^2
So U1/U2 = ...?

How did you know that C1 = C2? With that bit of knowledge I got D) (U/2) as the answer. Thanks for your help.

It says two identical capacitors.

I would approach this problem by first understanding the concept of capacitors in series. When capacitors are connected in series, their equivalent capacitance is given by 1/Ceq = 1/C1 + 1/C2. This means that the total capacitance of the series combination is less than the individual capacitances of the two capacitors.

Next, I would use the equation U = 1/2 CV^2 to calculate the energy stored in the individual capacitors when connected to the battery. Since the capacitors are identical, the energy stored in each capacitor would be the same, let's call it U1.

When the series combination is connected to the battery, the total energy stored would be the sum of the energies stored in the individual capacitors, which would be 2U1.

Therefore, the correct answer would be B) 2U. This makes sense because the equivalent capacitance of the series combination is half of the individual capacitance, which would result in twice the energy stored.

In summary, to find the total energy stored when capacitors are connected in series, we can use the equation U = 1/2 CV^2 and the concept of equivalent capacitance.

Related to Storage of capacitors in series

1. What is the purpose of storing capacitors in series?

Storing capacitors in series allows for an increased total capacitance, as the individual values of each capacitor are added together. This can be useful for applications that require a higher capacitance than what a single capacitor can provide.

2. What is the risk of storing capacitors in series?

The main risk of storing capacitors in series is that if one capacitor fails, the entire circuit will fail. This is because the capacitors are connected in a chain, so if one breaks, it will disrupt the flow of current to the rest of the capacitors.

3. How do I calculate the total capacitance of capacitors in series?

To calculate the total capacitance of capacitors in series, you can use the formula 1/Ctotal = 1/C1 + 1/C2 + 1/C3 + ... + 1/Cn, where C1, C2, C3, etc. are the values of each individual capacitor. Alternatively, you can add the individual capacitance values together if they are all the same.

4. Can I mix different types of capacitors when storing them in series?

It is generally not recommended to mix different types of capacitors when storing them in series. This is because each type has different characteristics and may not operate well together. It is best to use capacitors of the same type and value when storing them in series.

5. Are there any precautions I should take when storing capacitors in series?

Yes, there are a few precautions you should take when storing capacitors in series. It is important to ensure that the capacitors are all properly rated for the voltage of the circuit, and that they are connected in the correct polarity. It is also important to discharge the capacitors before handling them to avoid any electrical shocks.