Stopping Distance Friction Problem

In summary: And, it's a good habit.In summary, the driver of a 1500 kg automobile traveling at a speed of 110 km/h on a straight concrete highway faces an emergency situation and must slam on the brakes to stop. Using the formula -µF=m*a, the stopping distance on dry pavement (mu = 0.85) is found to be approximately 30 m/s, while the stopping distance on wet pavement (mu = 0.60) is approximately 44 m/s. The driver's initial velocity and acceleration must be calculated before using an accelerated motion formula to find the final stopping distance.
RebelAngel

Homework Statement

A 1500 kg automobile travels at a speed of 110 km/h along a straight concrete highway. Faced with an emergency situation, the driver jams on the brakes and slides to a stop.

a) What is his stopping distance on dry pavement (mu = 0.85)?

b) What is his stopping distance on wet pavement (mu = 0.60)?

Homework Equations

My instructor gave me this equation to use to solve the problem:
-µFN=max

The Attempt at a Solution

I first converted km/h to m/s which came out to be 0.533.
I then plugged my numbers into the formula:
-0.85FN=1500(0.533)
and came out with this answer:
FN= -940.6 for a
and
FN= -1332.5 for b

Im not sure where I messed up, but if anyone could help me that would be great!
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!
I first converted 110 km/h to m/s which came out to be 0.533.
Write the 110 km/h, then replace the km with 1000 m and the hour with 3600 s, then run it through your calculator. Should be around 30 m/s.
Of course this is the SPEED, not the acceleration!
Use -µF=m*a to find the acceleration. You can find the normal force from the mass of the car.

Finally, after finding the initial velocity and the acceleration, you'll need an accelerated motion formula to find the stopping distance.

Ah, now i feel blonde, haha. Thanks so much!

I've seen it SO many times! It is worth taking a moment to write out that step where you replace the km and the hr. It makes your work reliable and saves all the time you waste catching the mistakes.

Related to Stopping Distance Friction Problem

1. What is stopping distance friction problem?

The stopping distance friction problem refers to the calculation of the distance a moving object will travel before coming to a complete stop, taking into account the friction between the object and the surface it is moving on.

2. What factors affect stopping distance?

The factors that affect stopping distance include the speed of the object, the mass of the object, the surface friction, and any external forces acting on the object.

3. How do you calculate stopping distance?

The stopping distance can be calculated using the formula: stopping distance = initial velocity^2 / (2*friction coefficient*gravity)

4. Why is stopping distance important?

Stopping distance is important because it helps us understand how long it will take for an object to come to a complete stop and can be used to determine safe speeds for vehicles on different surfaces.

5. How can stopping distance be reduced?

Stopping distance can be reduced by decreasing the speed of the object, increasing the friction between the object and the surface, and minimizing any external forces acting on the object.