Stoichiometry Question 29b: Calculating Moles and Mass for Mg + O2 Reaction

• Chemistry
  • Thread starter supernova1203
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Homework
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with finding the number of moles and mass in a chemical reaction involving magnesium and oxygen. There is a discrepancy between the given values and the calculated values, potentially due to typos or intentional use of slightly different values. The expert suggests using the given values in calculations, with the exception of the final question which may be difficult to solve.
supernova1203
Question 29b)

I have the actual question in the attachment.

I go through the calculations as follows

Mg + O2 ---> MgO

then i balance equation

2Mg + O2----> 2 MgO

since we are given the mass of the magnesium and oxygen reactants, i prooced to finding the number of moles for magnesium and oxygen

for Mg
=2.6/24.3 (Molar mass)

=0.1 mols of Mg

now O2
=1.6/32(Molar mass)

= 0.05 mols

now that we have the number of moles of Mg and O2

i continue and find the limited and excess reactant(although i think both are limited, since there is only enough of Mg and O2 to do the reaction, so I use Mg in cross multiplication with MgO to find the number of MgO moles.

2 mols of Mg ----->2 mols of MgO
0.1 mole ---------> x

2/0.1=2/x

2x=0.2

x=0.1

so now we know the number of moles for MgO is 0.1

finally we calculate the mass of MgO

mass = number of moles x molar mass

molar mass of MgO is 24.3(mg) + 16(Oxygen)

24.3 + 16 = 40.3

mass = 0.1 x 40.3

=4.03 g

according to the law of conservation of mass, both sides reactant and product should be equal and in my calculations they are almost equal, the slight difference (4.2g) on reactants and 4.03g on products side is there because the course curriculum uses different decimal values for molar mass of each element and i use wikipedia (course says Oxygen has molar mass of 16, whereas wikipedia says its 15.9) the same goes for magnesium, book says a value and wikipedia has a slightly different value(again very slightly, which probably accounts for the slight difference in mass)

so the book and i are off by very little, does this check out?

Attachments

• lesson 9 question 3.jpg
    lesson 9 question 3.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 794
Physics news on Phys.org
2.6g and 1.6g are off, if anything, 2.6g of Mg reacts with 1.7g of oxygen. The difference is too large to be explained just by the differences in molar masses.

That's problem with the question, not with your calculations; however - these values are faulty, so it is hard to tell what they expect you to do. Could be the idea is that you are to use these masses in calculations - note that up to d everything can be calculated using given numbers (even if they are incorrect). Only e will be difficult to solve.

Wikipedia doesn't say oxygen has a molar mass of 15.9, it says 15.9994 - which rounds up to 16.

hm so your saying that the question has typos in it? because that's been known to happen in this textbook

What I am saying is that it can be both a typo, or an intentional use of a slightly off value (similar to experimental error). Impossible to say.

I would say that your calculations seem to be correct and you have a good understanding of stoichiometry principles. Your explanation of the slight difference in mass due to different decimal values for molar mass is also reasonable. However, it is always important to double check your calculations and make sure you are using accurate and consistent values for molar mass. Overall, your response shows a good understanding of the concept and a thorough approach to solving the problem.

Related to Stoichiometry Question 29b: Calculating Moles and Mass for Mg + O2 Reaction

1. How do I calculate the number of moles in a given substance?

In order to calculate the number of moles in a substance, you will need to know the mass of the substance and its molar mass. Then, you can use the formula: moles = mass/molar mass. This will give you the number of moles in the substance.

2. What is the purpose of stoichiometry in chemistry?

Stoichiometry is a branch of chemistry that deals with the quantitative relationships between reactants and products in chemical reactions. It allows us to predict the amount of product that will be formed from a given amount of reactants, and vice versa. It is essential for conducting experiments and understanding the composition of chemical reactions.

3. How do I balance a chemical equation using stoichiometry?

To balance a chemical equation, you will need to use stoichiometry to ensure that the number of atoms of each element on the reactant side is equal to the number of atoms of each element on the product side. You can do this by using coefficients to adjust the number of molecules or moles of each substance in the equation.

4. What is the difference between theoretical and actual yield in stoichiometry?

Theoretical yield refers to the amount of product that is expected to be produced based on the stoichiometric calculations. Actual yield, on the other hand, is the amount of product that is actually obtained from a reaction. In most cases, the actual yield will be less than the theoretical yield due to factors such as incomplete reactions or loss of product during the process.

5. How do I convert from moles to grams and vice versa?

In order to convert from moles to grams, you will need to multiply the number of moles by the molar mass of the substance. To convert from grams to moles, you will need to divide the given mass by the molar mass. It is important to always use the correct units and to check your calculations to ensure accuracy.