Stock's theorem and calculation of current density

In summary, the current density cannot be zero because the divergence theorem requires that the current density be positive at all points except for the point where the charge is located.
adamp121
Hi,

I'm trying to use stock's theorem with the following magnetic field -
[itex]B=1/r\hat{\theta}[/itex] on Cylindrical coordinate.

From one side I get -
[itex]\nabla X B=0 = \mu \int\int J \cdot dA[/itex], means that the current density is zero.

From the other side I get -
[itex]\oint B \cdot dl = 2 \pi r \cdot 1/r = \mu I[/itex]
and hence
[itex]I = 2 \pi / \mu[/itex]

So... How the current density could be zero?

Thanks,
Adam.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi adamp. Let me first show you a "simpler" example from electrostatics and hopefully from this example you can see what goes wrong in your calculation. Consider the Coulomb field of a point charge ##E = \frac{q}{4\pi \epsilon_0} \frac{\hat{\mathbf r}}{r^{2}}##. If we naively calculate its divergence, we find that ##\nabla\cdot E = 0## hence by the divergence theorem ##\int _{\Sigma}(\nabla\cdot E )dV = \int _{\partial \Sigma}E\cdot dA = 0##. But if we calculate the surface integral from the start we find that ## \int _{\partial \Sigma}E\cdot dA = \frac{q}{\epsilon_0}## so what's the deal?

The problem is that our system consists of a localized point source. Recall that ##\nabla\cdot E = \frac{\rho}{\epsilon_0}## so the divergence will vanish everywhere except at the localized point source because this is the only point in space where there is a charge. As such, when we calculated the divergence of the Coulomb field, we naively ignored what happens at ##r = 0## which is where the charge density "spikes up".

What we really have to do is represent the charge density in terms of a Dirac delta distribution i.e. ##\rho = q \delta^{3} (\mathbf r)##. Consequently, ##\nabla\cdot \frac{\hat{\mathbf r}}{r^{2}} = 4\pi \delta^{3}(\mathbf r)## i.e. this will respect the statement of the divergence theorem: ##\int _{\Sigma}(\nabla\cdot E)dV = \frac{q}{ \epsilon_0}\int _{\Sigma}\delta^{3}(\mathbf r) = \frac{q}{\epsilon_0} = \int _{\partial \Sigma}E\cdot dA##.

Can you now extrapolate from this and see what goes wrong in your calculation?

Hi,

Thank you very much for your response.

I still don't understand why when we are calculate [itex]\nabla\cdot E[/itex] we "naively" ignored what happens at [itex]r=0[/itex].
Is it comes up from the divergence definition?

##\nabla\cdot E = \frac{q}{4\pi \epsilon_0}\frac{1}{r^{2}}\partial_{r}(r^{2}\frac{1}{r^{2}})## we have a problem at ##r = 0## as you can see :)

So, can we say that it impossible to use the divergence for fields which are not defined at [itex]r=0[/itex] and we need to use stokes' theorem for getting the right answer using Path integral?

No we can still use the divergence theorem as long as we include the dirac delta distribution, as I have done in post #2. The problem of things "spiking up" at ##r = 0## comes from us having a vanishing charge density everywhere in space except at a single point. The dirac delta distribution takes care of that.

In your case we have a vanishing current density at all points in space except for the infinitely thin current carrying wire along ##r = 0## (now in cylindrical coordinates); we again have a sudden "spiking up" problem. The situation is analogous to what I talked about in post #2.

Now it's all clear :-)

Thank you again

Anytime. Good luck with your studies!

Related to Stock's theorem and calculation of current density

What is Stock's theorem and how is it used in calculating current density?

Stock's theorem is a mathematical concept that relates the circulation of a vector field to the flux of its curl through a surface. In the context of current density, it states that the current density at a point in space is equal to the circulation of the electric field around a closed loop enclosing that point. This theorem is used in calculating current density by providing a convenient way to relate the electric field and current density at a point.

How is Stock's theorem derived?

Stock's theorem is derived from the more general Stokes' theorem, which states that the flux of a vector field through a surface is equal to the circulation of the field around the boundary of that surface. By applying Stokes' theorem to the electric field, we can derive Stock's theorem for current density.

What is the physical significance of current density?

Current density is a measure of the flow of electric charge per unit area. It describes the density of electric current at a specific point in space and is an important concept in electromagnetism. It is used to understand and predict the behavior of electric currents in various materials and circuits.

How is current density calculated?

Current density is typically calculated using Ohm's law, which states that current is equal to the electric field divided by the material's electrical resistance. By rearranging this equation, we can calculate the current density at a point by dividing the electric field at that point by the material's electrical resistance.

What are the units of current density?

The units of current density are typically amperes per square meter (A/m²) in SI units or amperes per square centimeter (A/cm²) in CGS units. These units reflect the amount of current flowing through a unit area of a material.