Stewart or Swokosky for an introduction to Calculus?

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's progress in understanding calculus and their preference for the Morris Kline textbook. They also mention receiving other textbooks from their teacher and their goal to improve their proof-writing skills. There is a brief mention of whether Stewart and Sokowski are similar textbooks, with the conclusion that Sokowski is considered better.
TitoSmooth
I am currently working from the Morris Kline: An Intuitive Approach to Calculus. I am beginning to understand why the math is done and what is happening throughout the problem. So far I am about to start the Chain Rule.

My school uses Stewart for all their Calculus series and I have read from multiple sources that it is a poor textbook. Sokowski: Calculus 6th edition was given to me by a teacher along with Hardy.

I will work on the Hardy and Apostol book after Calculus 2 to become better at proofs because I want to be a Mathematician.

Are Stewart and Sokowski both generally the same dumbed down books or is Sokowski a bit better?

Physics news on Phys.org
bump. anyone?

Swokowski is a nice book .It is surely better than Stewart.

Related to Stewart or Swokosky for an introduction to Calculus?

1. What is the difference between Stewart and Swokosky for an introduction to Calculus?

Both Stewart and Swokosky offer comprehensive introductions to Calculus. However, Stewart's textbook is known for its clear explanations and extensive practice problems, while Swokosky's textbook is known for its focus on real-world applications and problem-solving techniques.

2. Which textbook is more suitable for beginners in Calculus?

Both Stewart and Swokosky are suitable for beginners in Calculus. However, Stewart's textbook may be more suitable for those who prefer a more traditional approach to learning Calculus, while Swokosky's textbook may be more suitable for those who prefer a more applied and practical approach.

3. Are there any significant differences in the content covered in Stewart and Swokosky's textbooks?

The content covered in both textbooks is similar, as they both cover the core concepts and principles of Calculus. However, there may be slight variations in the order in which topics are presented or the depth of coverage for certain topics.

4. Which textbook is more commonly used in universities?

Both Stewart and Swokosky's textbooks are commonly used in universities. However, Stewart's textbook may be more widely used in traditional mathematics courses, while Swokosky's textbook may be more commonly used in courses that focus on real-world applications of Calculus.

5. Can I use both Stewart and Swokosky's textbooks for self-study?

Yes, both textbooks can be used for self-study. However, it is recommended to choose one textbook and stick with it, as using multiple textbooks may cause confusion or overlap in content. It is also helpful to seek additional resources, such as online tutorials or practice problems, to supplement your self-study.