Steps to Becoming a Scientist in Physics or Electronics

In summary, the conversation discussed the desire to become a scientist, with the focus on either physics or electronics. The advice given was to find a good scientific advisor, select a modern problem in science, and improve research and writing skills. The conversation also touched on the qualities of a scientist, such as patience and perseverance in the face of obstacles. However, it was also mentioned that the role of a scientist can vary and may involve different tasks, depending on the specific job or project.
madhuravelIAS
hi, i really interested to become a scientist (either in physics or electronics) at present i completed my second year of b.tech degree(in ECE), please guide me to become a very good scientist... thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
First of all, what do you mean by "being a scientist"?

What do you want to spend most of your life doing?

Firstly, find a good scientific advisor whom you will work. Select the modern problem of science. Collect recently published articles related to your research work. Analyze them discuss and ask questions to your supervisor or anyone who has knowledge in your research field. Do not hesitate to ask questions if you have anyone. Improve your research and writing skills.
In order to be a very good scientist you have to spend the most time doing research. In this case, you will probably forget about something in life.))

anjelin said:
Firstly, find a good scientific advisor whom you will work. Select the modern problem of science. Collect recently published articles related to your research work. Analyze them discuss and ask questions to your supervisor or anyone who has knowledge in your research field. Do not hesitate to ask questions if you have anyone. Improve your research and writing skills.
In order to be a very good scientist you have to spend the most time doing research. In this case, you will probably forget about something in life.))

thanks for your idea, from today onwards i will work on your words...

wukunlin said:
First of all, what do you mean by "being a scientist"?

What do you want to spend most of your life doing?

a scientist is the one who spends most of his/her life time in research. usually a scientist should be more patient. he should keep on moving through whatever obstacles on his path of research.. that's all i know...

madhuravelIAS said:
a scientist is the one who spends most of his/her life time in research. usually a scientist should be more patient. he should keep on moving through whatever obstacles on his path of research.. that's all i know...

Not always. I was a senior scientist for Battelle PNL. I spent a little time doing research, but the my time was running around the country doing onsite NUREG 0654 EP appraisals and drills after TMI, and when I wasn't running around the country, I was sitting in my office going through site documents looking for issues. I did other things, of course, but they were minor in comparison. I wasn't hired to do what I was doing, but they had a need and I had a skill. I'm sure it's not always that way, but you are hired to work as directed. I had fun, made money, met lots of great folks, and, oh yea, supplied a useful work product :smile:

Related to Steps to Becoming a Scientist in Physics or Electronics

1. What education is needed to become a scientist in physics or electronics?

To become a scientist in physics or electronics, you will typically need at least a bachelor's degree in physics, electronics, or a related field. Many scientists also pursue graduate degrees, such as a Master's or PhD, to further specialize in their area of interest.

2. What skills are important for a scientist in physics or electronics?

Some essential skills for a scientist in physics or electronics include critical thinking, problem-solving, mathematical and analytical skills, attention to detail, and strong communication skills. Additionally, computer programming and data analysis skills are becoming increasingly important in these fields.

3. Can I become a scientist in physics or electronics without a degree?

While it is possible to work in a scientific field without a degree, it is highly recommended to have at least a bachelor's degree to become a scientist in physics or electronics. A degree provides essential knowledge and skills that are necessary for success in these fields.

4. What kind of work do scientists in physics or electronics do?

Scientists in physics or electronics may work in a variety of settings, including research labs, universities, government agencies, or private companies. They conduct experiments, analyze data, develop theories, and write scientific papers to share their findings with the scientific community. They may also work with engineers and other professionals to develop new technologies.

5. How can I gain experience as a scientist in physics or electronics?

One way to gain experience is by participating in research projects as an undergraduate or graduate student. You can also seek internships or co-op opportunities in scientific organizations or companies. Additionally, attending conferences and networking with other scientists can help you gain valuable experience and insights into the field.