Stephan-Boltzmann law, solid angle integral, and an extra pi factor

In summary, the conversation is about the Stephan-Boltzmann law and its derivation. The speaker is struggling with understanding the equations and concepts involved, such as the definition of B(T) and the role of the cos θ term in equation 1. They also have questions about the integration process and the interpretation of certain terms. They are seeking help in understanding the concepts and steps involved.
ck99

Homework Statement

This isn't a homework question, I am writing up my scribbled notes from todays lecture and have got stuck on some calculus, and lost the thread of the argument. Last week, we integrated Plancks law to find

B(T) = ∫ Bv(T) dv

= 2∏4(kT)4 / 15c2h3

Then defined the Stephan Boltzmann constant σ as

σ = 2∏5k4 / 15c2h3

To get the Stephan Boltzmann Law expressed as

B(T) = σT4 / ∏

Today, we start with the Stephan-Boltzmann law expressed as F = σT4 and start to investigate where our previous π-1 term comes from.

We start by considering an area element in a flux, with area dA and unit vector n. We define flux passing through this element as

(1) dF = dΩ cosθ B(T)

Integrate to get

(2) F = B(T) 2∏ ∫sinθ cos θ dθ (integral from 0 to pi/2)

(3) F = B(T) 2∏ ∫μ dμ (integral from 0 to 1)

(4) F = σT4

Homework Equations

All stated above (I hope!)

The Attempt at a Solution

My questions are, firstly, are F and B(T) both fluxes? I understand how we got to defining B(T) but I'm not exactly sure what it is!

Second, what does the cos θ term in eqn 1 describe?

Third, how do we get from eqn 2 to eqn 3, and how is the integral of μ equal to 1/2 in order for eqn 4 to be true?

For the first question, I have found that B is used for magnetic flux, but I don't think that is what is being described here.

For the second, I think this is to do with the angle of emission compared to the normal vector n we defined, so it would be necessary to integrate over all possible values of θ, but surely this would be a solid angle term like Ω? Or is that where the dΩ term comes from? Or is dΩ an integral over the sum of the surface elements?

For the third, I am totally stuck. Someone else asked for help on this, and he wrote down the following:

∫sin θ f(sin θ cos θ) dθ (integral from 0 to pi) = ∫ f{√(1 - μ2), μ} dμ (integral from -1 to 1)

dθ sin θ = -d cos θ = -dμ

That does not help me in the slightest, in fact I am more confused than ever now I have typed it all out! I have spent over an hour trying to figure out what is going on with this integration, my calculus is extremely poor (I seem to forget it faster than I learn it) so the explanations/lecture notes I have found online are not very helpful to a dunce such as myself. Could someone point me towards an idiots guide to whatever the heck this is?

Physics news on Phys.org
Or lay out in very simple terms what is going on, so I can actually understand it this time? I am able to do the integration myself, I just need help understanding what is going on and why each step is necessary.Thank you in advance for any help you can offer!

Related to Stephan-Boltzmann law, solid angle integral, and an extra pi factor

What is the Stephan-Boltzmann law?

The Stephan-Boltzmann law is a physical law that describes the relationship between the temperature and the total amount of radiation emitted by a blackbody. It states that the total radiant flux emitted by a blackbody is proportional to the fourth power of its absolute temperature.

What is a solid angle integral?

A solid angle integral is a mathematical concept used to measure the size of an angled region in three-dimensional space. It is similar to how a regular angle measures the size of a region in two-dimensional space.

Why is an extra pi factor included in the solid angle integral formula?

The extra pi factor is included in the solid angle integral formula because it accounts for the fact that angles in three-dimensional space are measured in steradians, which are different from regular radians used in two-dimensional space. The additional pi factor ensures that the solid angle integral is calculated correctly for three-dimensional space.

How is the Stephan-Boltzmann law related to the solid angle integral?

The Stephan-Boltzmann law is related to the solid angle integral because it is used to calculate the total radiant flux emitted by a blackbody in three-dimensional space. The solid angle integral is included in the formula for the total radiant flux to account for the directionality of the emitted radiation in three-dimensional space.

What are some real-world applications of the Stephan-Boltzmann law and solid angle integral?

The Stephan-Boltzmann law and solid angle integral have various real-world applications in fields such as astrophysics, thermodynamics, and radiometry. Some examples include calculating the radiation emitted by stars, determining the heat transfer in buildings, and measuring the energy output of various devices such as light bulbs and solar panels.