Stefan-Boltzmann Law: IvdvcosΘdw Explained

In summary, the Stefan-Boltzmann Law is a physical law that relates an object's temperature to the amount of thermal radiation it emits. It was discovered by Josef Stefan in 1879 and refined by Ludwig Boltzmann in 1884. The formula for this law is I = σT^4, where I is the intensity of thermal radiation, σ is the Stefan-Boltzmann constant, and T is the temperature in Kelvin. This law is used in various fields of science, such as astrophysics and thermodynamics, and has real-life applications in measuring the temperature of stars, predicting planetary temperatures, and studying the thermal properties of materials.
Apashanka das
I am having a doubt of why is the radiative flux IvdvcosΘdw in equilibrium integrated for a spherical black body only from 0 to pi/2 not pi(e.g. For the entire surface for which it is zero),
v=frequency
dw= solid angle

Physics news on Phys.org
It is a surface, it can only emit radiation in one hemisphere.

Related to Stefan-Boltzmann Law: IvdvcosΘdw Explained

What is the Stefan-Boltzmann Law?

The Stefan-Boltzmann Law is a physical law that describes the relationship between the temperature of an object and the amount of thermal radiation it emits. It states that the total energy radiated per unit surface area of an object is proportional to the fourth power of its absolute temperature.

Who discovered the Stefan-Boltzmann Law?

The Stefan-Boltzmann Law was discovered by Austrian physicist Josef Stefan in 1879, and later refined by physicist Ludwig Boltzmann in 1884.

What is the formula for the Stefan-Boltzmann Law?

The formula for the Stefan-Boltzmann Law is I = σT^4, where I is the intensity of thermal radiation, σ is the Stefan-Boltzmann constant (5.67 x 10^-8 W/m^2K^4), and T is the absolute temperature of the object in Kelvin.

How is the Stefan-Boltzmann Law used in science?

The Stefan-Boltzmann Law is used in various fields of science, such as astrophysics and thermodynamics, to calculate the thermal radiation emitted by objects at different temperatures. It is also used to study the behavior of stars and planets, as well as to design and improve technologies such as solar panels and infrared cameras.

What are some real-life applications of the Stefan-Boltzmann Law?

The Stefan-Boltzmann Law has many practical applications, including measuring the surface temperature of stars, predicting the temperature of planets based on their distance from the sun, and calculating the amount of heat loss from buildings and other structures. It is also used in the development of thermal imaging devices and to study the thermal properties of materials.