Steel Box Section strength for climbing wall

In summary, the individual is seeking advice on building a climbing wall attached to a concrete wall outside their house. They plan to use 3 sheets of 18mm plywood stacked 3 high to create a maximum height of 3.66m. The wall should be adjustable and able to pivot for overhangs, with the top fixed to the wall using chains. They are considering using a steel frame to fix the boards to and are seeking advice on calculating the forces on the steel. It is recommended to consult an insured engineer for this complex structure, and a self-supported framework may be a safer and more cost-effective option.
Absoluute
Hi,

I'm planning to build a climbing wall outside my house, attached to a concrete wall.
The climbing wall would be 3 sheets of 18mm plywood (each about 30kgs) - each 2.5m x 1.22m (8ft x 4ft). With the boards set out 2.5m wide and stacked 3 high to give a max height of 3.66m (12ft).
I want the wall to be adjustable, to pivot out to be able to climb overhangs. Fixing the top to the wall with chains.

I'm thinking of creating a steel frame to fix the boards to, someone suggested using 50mmx50mmx3mm steel box. But I'd like to calculate the loads and work out the best dimension of steel.
The simplest design would be 2 uprights and 4 cross-beams to fasten the boards to.
How do I calculate the forces on the steel if the wall is leaning outwards, probably 20 or 30 degrees ?
Maybe I'd need a third upright in the middle, to give it vertical rigidity ?

Any help much appreciated, I've not done any of this mech eng before. I did a Physics degree many moons ago, and never found it much us in everyday life!

Cheers,
Adam

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

The simple answer is that you need to consult an insured engineer. Why?
How many uninvited people might possibly be on the wall at one time? Can the wall support the climbing structural modifications with multiple climbers. The wall will tend to fall on the climbers if they are far out from the vertical wall. What wind rating will it need to be designed to withstand?

Attempting to calculate such a complex structure yourself would be dangerous. PF would not want to be associated with the liability of what is clearly a challenge for a consultant engineer with insurance.

I suspect that a sensible economic solution would be to make a self supporting framework that sits near the wall but is not actually attached to the wall. That eliminates many of the obvious risks and liabilities. The self supported frame could then be C or U shaped in plan, so the climber(s) could be safely inside the structure only.

Related to Steel Box Section strength for climbing wall

1. How much weight can a steel box section hold for a climbing wall?

The amount of weight a steel box section can hold for a climbing wall depends on various factors such as the thickness, length, and material grade of the box section. Generally, a typical steel box section can hold up to 10,000 pounds of weight.

2. What is the maximum height that a steel box section can be used for a climbing wall?

The maximum height that a steel box section can be used for a climbing wall depends on the strength and rigidity of the section, as well as the support structure and proper installation techniques. However, most steel box sections used for climbing walls can safely reach heights of up to 50 feet.

3. Can a steel box section be used for outdoor climbing walls?

Yes, a steel box section can be used for outdoor climbing walls. However, it is important to use a corrosion-resistant material, such as stainless steel or galvanized steel, and properly maintain the section to withstand external elements such as weather and moisture.

4. How is the strength of a steel box section tested for climbing walls?

The strength of a steel box section for a climbing wall is tested using various methods such as tension and compression tests, which measure the amount of force the section can withstand before breaking. These tests also help determine the maximum load limit and the safety factor of the section.

5. Are there any regulations or standards for using steel box sections in climbing walls?

Yes, there are regulations and standards that must be followed when using steel box sections for climbing walls. These include the American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) standards and the International Building Code (IBC), which provide guidelines for the design, construction, and use of climbing walls and structures.