Steady Temp of a heater in a box (Thermodynamics)

In summary, the student is having trouble arriving at the correct answer to a question asking for the steady temperature in a box with 4 sides and a bottom. They have worked through the problem by solving for the total thermal resistance, calculating the time dissipation rates, and subtracting 273 to get the answer.
cdanderson04
Hey all:

I am taking a Thermodynamics course and we are studying work and heat through surfaces (i.e. conduction, convection, and radiation). I was given an assignment and I am having trouble arriving at the correct answer. I have scanned the question and the works I have so far. I hope someone can help me with this.

The question is:
question.png

And here are my workings so far:
workings.png

I have solved for all of my resistances and I am pretty sure they are correct. I
just don't know what to do with them after I have them.

I know that:
QTOTAL = QSIDES + QTOP + QBOTTOM = 200W

I am just not sure how to extract the steady temperature from this.

The answer in the back of the book is 45.6 degrees C. Some other people got 46.7 degrees, but I don't think they did it right?

Anyways, any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You can find the the total thermal resistance Rtotal.

Then you should know that

[tex]R_{total}= \frac{T-T_{\infty}}{\dot{q}}[/tex]

How would you go about finding RTOTAL? Would you just add up all the Rs and also, would you multiply the RSIDES by 4 since there are 4 sides? Thanks!

I believe, they'd all be in series, so should be able to just add them to get Rtotal.

Thanks again. But I tried that and I get a different temperature for the bottom and the sides/top since the temperatures are different. All I know is that QTOTAL = QSIDES + QTOP + QBOTTOM = 200W. I know there is a temperature in there somewhere but I don't know hoe to extract it. Sorry if I am not explaining myself correctly.

Well you could just substitute Q for each of the sides and then get the temperature T.

(T-Tbottom ambient)/qbottom=Rbottom.

Sub for qbottom in your equation and do the same for the other 'q's.

There appears some superfluous data given - the thickness of steel plates plexiglass and soft wouod - that is not needed to solve the problem. (This was done perhaps to see if the students use all data given whether useful or not)

From the dimensions you can observe that energy dissipation rates are given for the side and top, and, the inverse of that is given for the bottom - as resistance. Therefore, for the bottom you take the inverse of the resistance to get the conductance - the dissipation rate.
Multiply the dissipation rates by the respective areas of the sides of the box and obtain the time rates of dissipation (energy loss per unit time per degree K). Multiply these rates by the temperature drops for each side i.e. by (T-283) for the top and sides and (T-283) for the bottom to get the time dissipation rates. T is the steady state temperature in degrees K, inside the box. Add the dissipation rates for all the 6 sides of the box and equate it to 200 ( the time rate of energy input). you get one equation in one unknown = the T. Solve it and get T in degrees K. Subtract 273 from that to get degrees C. I get 30 degrees C as the answer.

Related to Steady Temp of a heater in a box (Thermodynamics)

1. What is the steady temperature of a heater in a box?

The steady temperature of a heater in a box is the constant temperature that the heater and the surrounding box maintain once they reach equilibrium. It is the temperature at which the rate of heat transfer from the heater to the box is equal to the rate of heat loss from the box to the surroundings.

2. How is the steady temperature of a heater in a box determined?

The steady temperature of a heater in a box is determined by the heat transfer equation, which takes into account the heat generated by the heater, the heat lost to the surroundings, and the thermal conductivity of the materials involved. The steady temperature can also be calculated by measuring the temperature at different intervals until the temperature readings stabilize.

3. What factors affect the steady temperature of a heater in a box?

The steady temperature of a heater in a box is affected by several factors, including the power output of the heater, the insulation of the box, the thermal conductivity of the box material, and the ambient temperature of the surroundings. Changes in any of these factors can cause the steady temperature to fluctuate.

4. Can the steady temperature of a heater in a box be controlled?

Yes, the steady temperature of a heater in a box can be controlled by adjusting the power output of the heater, the insulation of the box, and the ambient temperature of the surroundings. By manipulating these factors, the steady temperature can be maintained at a desired level.

5. What happens if the steady temperature of a heater in a box is not reached?

If the steady temperature of a heater in a box is not reached, it means that the system is not in equilibrium and the rate of heat transfer is not balanced. This can be caused by factors such as a malfunctioning heater or inadequate insulation. In this case, the temperature within the box will continue to increase or decrease until equilibrium is reached or the system fails.