Steady State mass balance for separation of cyclopentadiene

In summary, the terms involving species R and B should be included in the mass balance for substance A. A separate pipe may be needed for the reaction to take place before entering the CSTR. The volume of the reactor is important to consider when calculating the moles of substance A for the PFR mass balance. The ideal gas law or volume flow rate can be used to calculate the volume.
member 392791

Hello,

Here is a homework problem that I have been working on. I am wondering if for the mass balance of substance A, do I include the terms in the reaction rate that involve species R and B? Also, wouldn't A and B start reacting in the pipe before they even go into the CSTR? (I guess put in 2 different pipes then!).

Also, I wasn't sure if my mass balance for the PFR is right, I'm pretty sure it isn't. The trouble is I don't know how to put it in terms of volumes when given moles for the PFR, so I just did a volume flow rate (or rather just a velocity I suppose, in terms of z, a length).

Attachments

• 7.36 attempt 1.pdf
    212.1 KB · Views: 155
  • 7.36.pdf
    76.9 KB · Views: 245
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello there,

Great job on working through this homework problem! You are correct in your thinking that the terms involving species R and B should be included in the mass balance for substance A. This is because substance A is being consumed in the reaction involving R and B, so it is important to account for those species in the mass balance.

In regards to your question about A and B reacting in the pipe before entering the CSTR, it is important to consider the residence time of the substances in the pipe. If the residence time is long enough, then yes, A and B may start reacting before entering the CSTR. In this case, it would be appropriate to include a separate pipe for the reaction to take place before entering the CSTR.

As for your mass balance for the PFR, it is important to consider the volume of the reactor when calculating the moles of substance A. If you are given moles, you can calculate the volume by using the ideal gas law. Alternatively, you can also calculate the volume flow rate using the given velocity and cross-sectional area of the reactor. Once you have the volume, you can then use it to calculate the moles of substance A and complete your mass balance.

I hope this helps and good luck with your homework! Let me know if you have any further questions. Keep up the good work!

Related to Steady State mass balance for separation of cyclopentadiene

1. What is steady state mass balance?

Steady state mass balance is a method used to analyze the flow of material in a system. It involves calculating the inflow and outflow of a substance in a system to determine the steady state concentration or mass of the substance.

2. How is steady state mass balance applied to the separation of cyclopentadiene?

In the separation of cyclopentadiene, steady state mass balance is used to determine the flow rate of the substance in each stage of the separation process. This allows for optimization of the separation process and ensures that the desired amount of cyclopentadiene is obtained.

3. What are the key assumptions in steady state mass balance?

The key assumptions in steady state mass balance include steady state conditions, constant flow rates, and no accumulation of the substance in the system. These assumptions allow for simplified calculations and analysis of the system.

4. How does steady state mass balance differ from batch mass balance?

Steady state mass balance is used for continuous systems, where the flow rate of the substance remains constant. Batch mass balance, on the other hand, is used for systems with changing or batch processes, where the flow rate and concentration of the substance may vary over time.

5. Why is steady state mass balance important in separation processes?

Steady state mass balance is crucial in separation processes as it allows for the optimization of the process and ensures that the desired product is obtained. It also helps in identifying any potential issues or areas for improvement in the separation process.