Stator ring coil and connection questions

In summary: You would need to use a 3 phase AC plug with one hot and one neutral leg. The number of turns per coil will be different depending on the type of AC power used.
StephenD420
Hello everyone:

I am trying to find a program or formula that will help me figure out how many windings, turns of coil, are needed per coil on a 6 coil steel stator ring powered by 3-phase AC power to get a certain magnetic field strength, about 1.3T. Is there any way that you could help me find out how many windings are needed per coil? Would I use the standard solenoid formula B=mu*N*L?

Could I use a standard ac plug with one hot leg and one neutral to power my steel stator ring coils, 6 total, to create a rotating magnetic field? If so, how would I connect the coils together and how would I connect those interconnections to the one hot leg and one neutral leg? And how would this affect the number of turns needed for each coil? Which would be better, Using a DC power supply or AC power from a plug with one hot leg and one neutral leg?
If DC is better to create the rotating magnetic field, how would I connect the six coils together and how would I connect those interconnections to a DC power supply

Thanks so much for the help.
Stephen

Engineering news on Phys.org
StephenD420 said:
Could I use a standard ac plug with one hot leg and one neutral to power my steel stator ring coils, 6 total, to create a rotating magnetic field? If so, how would I connect the coils together and how would I connect those interconnections to the one hot leg and one neutral leg? And how would this affect the number of turns needed for each coil? Which would be better, Using a DC power supply or AC power from a plug with one hot leg and one neutral leg?

No, that will not work.
Before you start blowing breakers, I would suggest that you learn more about single phase motors and read up on fundamentals of 3 phase power generation.
There is no way to connect your standard outlet to create 3 phase AC.

no no... I was wondering if I could use the outlet AC plug with one hot and one neutral leg to connect maybe 4 total coils of the steel stator ring instead of the six coils for three-phase AC power. Can I do that? Or would using DC be better? If so, how would you connect the coils together, a delta or star, and how would you connect the coils to a DC power supply to get a rotating magnetic field?

Also, is there a way to figure out how many turns per coil is needed on the steel stator ring with 4-6 coils to create a rotating magnetic field of a certain strength, about 1.3T? Would using DC or AC as a power source change the number of turns needed?

Thanks.
Stephen

DC will not work; there will not be a rotating field, only an electro-magnet.

Related to Stator ring coil and connection questions

1. What is a stator ring coil?

A stator ring coil is a component used in electric motors to generate a rotating magnetic field. It is made up of a series of copper wire windings wrapped around a metal core.

2. How does a stator ring coil work?

A stator ring coil works by using electrical energy to create a magnetic field. The alternating current flowing through the coil causes the magnetic field to rotate, which in turn, creates a rotational force on the rotor of the motor.

3. What is the purpose of a stator ring coil in an electric motor?

The stator ring coil is an essential component in an electric motor as it is responsible for creating the rotating magnetic field that drives the motor's rotation. Without this component, the motor would not be able to function.

4. What are the connections on a stator ring coil?

The connections on a stator ring coil usually consist of three wires, which are connected to a power source to supply the necessary current. These connections are also known as phases and are labeled as A, B, and C.

5. Can a stator ring coil be repaired?

In some cases, a damaged stator ring coil can be repaired by a professional. However, it is often more cost-effective to replace the entire coil rather than attempting to repair it.