Statistics - Hypothesis testing question

In summary, a two-tailed test of proportions with a significance level of 5% can be used to determine if the development program will be implemented, and whether the sample is taken with or without remission may affect the results.
Nephilim
Hello folks. This was in my exam and I wasn't sure how to solve it.

Homework Statement

A sample of 67 respondents was taken collectively by a population of 6,456 units. The number of those who said they were available to implement a development program were 35. To implement the program requires the agreement of at least 60% of the population. With a significance level of 5% you can believe that this program will be implemented or is more likely to be rejected?

Homework Equations

Given this table:
http://imageshack.us/f/191/unled1lx.jpg/

The Attempt at a Solution

Should I find the p value here, since we have percentage? If so then we'd have the null hypothesis : p<0.6 and the alternative hypothesis : p>=0.6 and the rest is easy, finding the Z value and looking it up. But I have a problem identifying what type of test is needed.
Also, what differs if the sample is taken WITH or WITHOUT remission?

Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
In this case, you would use a two-tailed test of proportions to determine if the program will be implemented or rejected. The null hypothesis would be that the population proportion of those available to implement the program is less than or equal to 0.6, and the alternative hypothesis would be that the population proportion is greater than 0.6. To find the p-value, you would calculate the observed proportion from the sample (35/67 = 0.52) and then compare it to the critical value of 0.6. With a significance level of 5%, the p-value would need to be less than 0.05 in order to reject the null hypothesis and conclude that the program is more likely to be implemented. Whether the sample is taken with or without remission does not affect the type of test used, but it may affect the results. If the sample is taken with remission, then more people may be available to implement the program, which would increase the observed proportion and make it more likely that the null hypothesis would be rejected.

Related to Statistics - Hypothesis testing question

1. How do I determine the appropriate statistical test for my hypothesis?

The type of statistical test you should use depends on several factors, including the type of data you have (categorical or continuous), the number of groups you are comparing, and the specific research question you are trying to answer. Consulting with a statistician or using online resources can help you choose the most appropriate test for your hypothesis.

2. What is the difference between a one-tailed and two-tailed hypothesis test?

In a one-tailed hypothesis test, the alternative hypothesis specifies the direction of the effect (e.g. "the mean is greater than X"). In a two-tailed test, the alternative hypothesis does not specify a direction and looks for any difference between the groups. The choice between one-tailed and two-tailed tests should be based on the research question and the direction of the expected effect.

3. How do I determine the significance level for my hypothesis test?

The significance level, also known as alpha, is typically set at 0.05 (5%) in most fields. This means that you are willing to accept a 5% chance of making a Type I error (rejecting the null hypothesis when it is true). However, the significance level can be adjusted based on the specific research question and the potential consequences of a Type I error.

4. Can I still use hypothesis testing if my sample size is small?

Yes, you can still use hypothesis testing with a small sample size, but the results may not be as reliable. With a small sample size, you may not have enough statistical power to detect a significant effect even if it truly exists. It is important to carefully consider your sample size when designing your study and interpreting the results of the hypothesis test.

5. What is the p-value and how does it relate to hypothesis testing?

The p-value is the probability of obtaining a result at least as extreme as the one observed, assuming the null hypothesis is true. In hypothesis testing, the p-value is compared to the significance level to determine if the result is statistically significant. If the p-value is less than the significance level, the result is considered to be statistically significant and the null hypothesis is rejected.